16 - Beauty is pain

Start from the beginning

"What colour should I even get?" I asked.

"White acrylics," began Katana, "with a marble one on your index finger and caviar beads on your ring finger."

Astonished, I looked back at her. "Oh, um thanks."

"It's calm, I need to go sort out some stuff but I'll be back at Eva's before 7."

"What about your nails?"

"I already got them done yesterday," she called, sauntering out of the salon.

Katana is borderline bipolar, I thought to myself. One minute she's threatening to kill me at prom, the next she's picking my nail colour. I looked over at Eva, who was in deep conversation with her nail tech, and smiled at her.

"Okay, here's how tonight is going down," announced Kehlani, turning to us. "We need to isolate Angelina from everyone at prom."

Yasmin raised her eyebrows. "And how do you propose we do that?"

"Make her prom night the worst night of her life."

"How are you going to do that? She's most likely to win prom queen," I added.

"And that's exactly why she won't."

"There are two other girls running for prom queen so I suppose there's a chance Anna won't win."

"No, you have to win the crown," said Kehlani, shaking her head.

I laughed. "I don't even have a ticket to get in so I'm not going to be voted for anyway."

"I told you, I've got it handled. Worry about looking like a sweet one with a fat ass crown on your head."

Shaking my head at Kehlani, I looked down at my nails. They were already white and sparkly with added length, just like Katana advised. I glanced at the clock, it read two o'clock.

"Should I wear makeup?" I asked. "I don't really wear makeup."

Yasmin looked back at me. "You know how to beat your face right?"

"No but I'm sure I could learn or-"

"It's calm, I'll beat your face for you. Just go to Superdrug and get your foundation colour."

"I'll come with you," grinned Kehlani. "I left my makeup at home."

"Alright," said Eva. "Come over to my yard when you're finished."

Kehlani and I stood up once we finished paying for our nails. Putting my hands out, I studied my new nails again. I loved how the plain white acrylics had a slight shimmer to them when I tilted them in the light.

"You should get your nails done more often," chuckled Kehlani.

She held open the door for me as I waved goodbye to Eva and Yasmin. Biting my lip, I considered how my life had changed drastically in the past seven days. I had gained a new group of friends and I was now preparing for the school event I promised myself that I wouldn't attend to save myself the embarrassment. Although I had tried to forget what Jasiah made me feel in the hospital bathroom, I couldn't help but miss being around him. Or his hands lightly choking my neck as he kissed it.

"Chardonnay? Chardonnay?" repeated Kehlani, waving her hand in front of my face.

"Yeah? You okay?"

"Yeah, it's just that you were zoning out," shrugged Kehlani. "Anyway, I was saying we're here."

I gazed around. I was so invested in my thoughts that we had already walked to Walthamstow Mall.

●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●

"I can't believe it takes one hour and a half to get acrylics done," I laughed, entering Superdrug.

"Beauty cannot be rushed," answered Kehlani.

I nodded as I peered at the different sections of makeup. Some foundations were hydrating whilst others were matte. Kehlani had already asked what skin type I was so she picked up a foundation called Maybelline Fit Me Foundation.

"A lot of people don't know this," she began whilst she tested shades on my jaw, "but drugstore products are just as good as some high end products. It's all about the technique you use to apply it."

I shrugged, not sure what to say. I haven't worn makeup before and I was far from being a makeup guru to even comment about makeup. Kehlani settled on a shade called 356 Coconut for me whilst she picked a slightly lighter shade for herself.

"Don't we need more makeup products like a spray and powder?" I questioned whilst we strolled to the till.

"We do but Yasmin always carries her makeup bag with her so we can just use her brushes and stuff," replied Kehlani.

After paying for our foundations, we stepped out of Walthamstow Mall and walked to the bus station, in order to get a bus to Eva's house. Whilst we waited, I scanned the faces on the passing double decker bus.

Tapping Kehlani, I questioned, "Is that who I think it is?"

Frowning down at us from the back seat on the top deck was a familiar face. She had a sleek high ponytail with dramatic edges. In one swift motion, Kehlani drew her finger across her neck in a beheading motion. The girl's eyes widened as she recognised Kehlani. She stuck her middle finger up, laughing, as the bus drove away.

"Angelina Valdez isn't going to be prom queen," I hissed. "Not on my watch."

- Look after yourself, self-care is important for your physical appearance and your mind

So Chardonnay didn't get bagged but how will Chardonnay get into prom and will she win prom queen? Find out in the next chapters. Don't forget to vote - Jaymunni