Chapter 12: How Thor Met Him

Börja om från början

The man's smile immediately disappeared and he put his hands up to show that he meant no harm. He said seriously, "I just saw you there, and I thought you might have been dangerous. I was being careful."

Thor growled, his princely attitude rearing his head at the man's blasé response. "What actions of mine earned your caution, mortal?" he said. "Do not insult me as to say such things."

The man frowned, eyes sweeping over the demigod's slightly arrogant posture and stiff scowl. "I meant no offense, though your own presumptuousness tests my patience," he said, adopting the demigod's regal speech patterns.

Thor ground his teeth. Normally he would be in a much better mood and not bothered the man past a few questions, but he was tired of having to slip away from his lady in the middle of the night like a vagabond and biting his tongue at the concerns of mortals. This man... he only agitated Thor's already worn composure. "I tire of your presence," he told the mortal. "Leave this place!"

The man's lips curled back from his teeth in a startling snarl, and Thor startled minutely when he felt the humming running along his flesh throb. "Who do you think you are to tell me what to do?" He said, eyes narrowing, and he took a step towards Thor.

The throbbing on Thor's skin increased to a painful amount, and without any consideration towards his actions he swung Mjolnir and flicked it at the mortal. To his surprise the man only leapt aside and let the small bolt of lightning the hammer had produced dance past him. His actions only confirmed Thor's thoughts that this man was not a mortal like he seemed.

He sent more bolts at him, but he just ducked and backpedaled with practiced ease. Before Thor could realise it the man was suddenly pressing close, and the demigod had to stumble back to avoid being sliced by a sword that had suddenly appeared in the man's hand. Somewhat abashedly realising that his time on Midgard had dulled his skills, Thor attempted to keep the man at a distance where his deadly sword could not reach him. Normally he would not have fought such a distanced battle, but his body was much more vulnerable in its half-mortal state, and his lack of armor was something he was not used to.

They fought back and forth, both with frustration simmering under their skin. They came ever closer to the sea until they reached the edge of the cliffs that framed the shallow inlet. There the spray licked at their ankles and made the rock slippery under foot, and both of them lost their balance more than once.

As they approached the waters crashing at the rocks below, Thor felt the throbbing on his skin increase until it made him itch and burn, and he bared his teeth. With a mighty swing of his hammer he brought up a wind and a bolt of lightning that struck the ground at the man's feet and set him tumbling. He hit the rocks once, flipped up into the air, and sailed over the cliff edge. He plunged downwards and towards the tumultuous waters below, and Thor watched him tumble head over heels. When he was almost at the surface, the water rose up to meet him. It cushioned his sudden halt, and cradled him as he sunk into the frothy waters. As he disappeared from sight, his green eyes – luminous now that he was shrouded by the dark sea – remained locked with Thor's until the Asgardian could see him no more.

He stood there on the cliff, heart still pounding from the rush of adrenaline, then he slowly loosened his grip on Mjolnir. He became aware of the stinging of several cuts the not-mortal had given him, and the last dregs of his frustration slipped away as he scowled down at the sodden state of his pants. He turned his glare to the waters that remained as barren as they had before, with no sign of the not-mortal.

The not-mortal. Who had been rather friendly and peaceful, until Thor had proved him. The not-mortal, who had displayed very not-mortal powers that were unlike any he'd seen on Midgard, powers that reached into the realm of godhood. The not-mortal that Thor had scared off, and was who knew where.