Beautiful Reasons behind Everything

"Mommy, why do we need to pray?"

May masuyong ngiting nilingon ni Sophia ang anim na taong anak na si Henessa. Nakaupo ito sa kama at naghahanda na para matulog ngunit tila hanggang ngayon ay gumagana pa ang pagiging witty nito.

"We pray after we wake up, before we eat, before we sleep... We pray a lot, but why?" nakakunot-noo pang tanong ni Henessa na sinabayan pa ng pagkiling ng ulo.

Nagpakawalang ng isang buntong-hininga si Sophia at naupo sa tabi ng anak. "We pray because it's our way to communicate to God."

"But I thought, God can always hear and see us. Bakit pa po tayo nagpe-pray kung palagi naman niya tayong naririnig at nakikita?"

Sumandal siya sa headboard at iniakbay ang kaliwang braso sa anak sabay hapit ng maliit nitong katawan palapit sa kaniya. "God wants to talk to us and He likes hearing things from us."

"Talk to us? But we do all the talking when we are praying," Henessa said while scratching her small nose.

Sophia let out a sigh before speaking while thinking that surely they will have a long night time story telling ahead. "Okay... Here we go. Do you remember the time that you accidentally broke your friend's new doll?"

Henessa looked up at her pouting. "Why are you bringing that up, mommy? I thought we're fine with that. I already said sorry to Misha."

She beamed at her. "I know... I know. This time I want you to remember what was the right thing that you done and not the wrong one."

Henessa paused for a second before she answered. "I admitted what I have done then said sorry to her and her mom. You even bought a doll for her and for me because of that."

"Uhuh. That's right! How about the day you broke grandma's favorite flower vase?" Sophia went on.

"Mommy?" Henessa protested.

"The good one, sweetie," she reminded.

"I admitted that I'm the one who broke it," she replied before turning to her. "But then, dad and you already knew that it was me who broke it," she pointed out.

"And by admitting your mistake, that's honesty, sweetie."

"Hmmm... Mommy..." Henessa stared at her in confusion.

"Remember the times you're telling us what you like to eat? Or those moments that daddy and I like hearing stories from you when you came back from school?"

Henessa nodded instinctively yet her face didn't change. "I still don't get it, mom. What's with all of those?"

Sophia tucked some strands of Henessa's hair behind her ear. "See those? We like that you know your mistakes, and you admitted them without us forcing you to do it. We knew that you broke grandma's favorite flower vase, yet it's good to know that you're being honest to us. God, even though He sees us and watching us, loves to hear from us. God wants us saying sorry, asking for forgiveness if we made mistakes. He likes hearing stories from us. It's making Him happy knowing we enjoyed His gifts, and that we're thankful of those."

"So, it is the reason why we always thank Him before we ate and sleep, and even after I woke up in the morning?"

"Yes, sweetie."

"Is God going to get mad if I'm not being honest? Or if I didn't pray?" her voice suddenly change into melancholic.

"He will surely be sad if we stop talking to Him. And speaking of not being honest, malulungkot rin siya." Sophia paused for a while and stared at Henessa. "But you know what, sweetie... He's an understanding God. Mas maunawain pa Siya kesa sa'min ng daddy mo." Hinawakan niya ang kamay nito at pinisil iyon. "Naalala mo noong nagalit si mommy dahil pinakialaman mo yung gamot sa cabinet? Nag-aalala si mommy sa'yo pero maling sinigawan kita."