Chapter 5- What Was That?

The next day, I stole black coffee from the Slop Shop. It felt good to go back to old habits. But then again, it made me fill with anger that I didn't get to be here with Mal. We would be in Auradon if it weren't for Mal. I would've been the one to straighten their heads and make them steal the wand for our parents. I would want to see the look on Belle and Beast's faces when they look at me and see their own daughter.

I threw the cup into an alley before heading onto the ship. The crew members nodded to me as I walked past them. I found Uma looking out at the sea on the top deck.

"Still going to Curl Up and Dye to get our hair done?" I asked, taking a deep breath while speaking. "Your braids have fallen out already."

"What are you going to do?" Uma asked curiously.

"Maybe a couple streaks of black between my blue strands." I ran my fingers through my already-messy hair.

"I think you just need a touch up of the blue. Keep your roots brown, but touch up the blue. I like the blue," Uma suggested.

I nodded with a smile in agreement and sat down with her.

"Bad morning, ladies," Harry greeted us, handing Uma a wad of cash.

"Already stole from Dizzy, I assume?" I asked.

"Correct, you are Blair." Harry smirked.

I got up, straightening my shirt. "I'm always right," I reminded him.

"Mm, what about the time when we were stealing from Jay's old man?" Harry hummed.

"Okay, that was one time I forgot Iago was there," I laughed. "But we still got some loot."

"Harry!" Uma barked, getting up. "Why don't you go train with Blair on the hill?"

"I can go with her if you want, Uma." Gil came up to us.

Uma rolled her eyes. "As long as she gets practice in. We don't want our co-captain to go rusty, do we?" she looked at me.

"No, captain." I shook my head.

"Go." She waved us off.

We grabbed swords from the lower deck and started off toward the hill.

"Why did you volunteer to train with me and not let Harry do it?" I asked.

"I need a little practice too, honestly," Gil admitted, blatantly lying.

"Gil, I've known you for almost two months. I can tell when you're lying." I looked at him.

He stayed silent for a moment as I saw his fist clench around the sword. I scoffed in surprise. "Were you jealous of me talking to Harry?"

"That's what this feeling is?" Gil asked.

"That sickly feeling in your stomach? Yeah. Either that, or you ate too many yolks this morning," I teased.

"Ha ha, Blair," Gil said sarcastically. "I think I was jealous," Gil whispered.

"Of what, Gil? You've seen me bluntly reject Harry all the time. Why all of a sudden are you jealous?" I questioned.

"I don't want to talk about it." Gil advanced in front of me.

"Gil. Gil," I repeated his name as I tried to walk in front of him. "Gil, please tell me," I whined.

"I said I don't want to talk about it," Gil growled.

"Gil LeGume, you better tell me right now, or I swear-" I started before Gil cut me off.

What had taken me by surprise was that Gil had cut me off by kissing me.

The kiss was passionate, hints of love pouring into the kiss. He held my waist as my hands dabbed his biceps, Gil tilting his head to deepen the kiss.

We pulled away for air at the same time, connecting our foreheads as we panted.

"I like you," Gil breathed.

I smiled, raising my hands to his neck and connecting them in the back. "I like you too, Gil."

I laughed. "What was that?" I asked myself.

Gil smiled. "Something out of a fairytale, I guess. One that has a poor beginning, but, hopefully, a happy ending."