♫ 𝐒𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐌𝐄 𝐇𝐎𝐌𝐄

PENELOPE HOLLOWAY LOVED MUSIC

PENELOPE HOLLOWAY LOVED MUSIC. Her first memory that she could really remember, was sitting on her dads lap in a recording studio and him getting her to laugh, a backtrack that he'd later use in one of his hit singles. For as long as she could remember, music was there. From spending the weekends with her dad, watching him perform on stage, watching the producers work on the soundboards as her dad recorded in the studio, hanging out with him on his tour bus, and even picking up her first guitar when she was only six-years-old, music was a part of her.

It was the birds in the sky, it was tucked away in her rambling words in one of her many composition notebooks, it was in the old records her step-dad would play on the weekends when he was out in the garage, and it was in the quiet tune, that if she focused really hard, she could hear her mom hum along to– a song in her head she'd never really known the name of or heard her mom sing out loud, a song that seemed to be her own little secret.

AND JUST LIKE MUSIC, her best friend since pre-school, Julie Molina, was always there too. Living only a short distance of ten houses down, it wasn't rare for the two girls to be spending every day at the others' house. Sleepovers were filled with childhood dreams of forming their band, The Brat Pack, along with their third best friend, Flynn, where they'd become rockstars who toured the world and made songs that people would sing at the top of their lungs. Every weekend, the three girls would host a 'concert' for their parents, where they'd perform original songs or covers at their favorite venue, 'Casa de Molina.'

Penelope loved the Molina household, it was so lively and full of music– all thanks to Julie's mom, who, like Penelope's dad, encouraged the two girls to pursue their musical dreams. It was even in there, one weekend in the Molina household, where Penelope picked up her very first guitar. An old acoustic tucked away up in the loft. The weekends were always the best, especially when her dad was home from the road. Because those were the weekends her and Julie stayed tucked away in the Molina's makeshift studio, writing and singing to their hearts desire.

UNTIL THE ONE WEEKEND when life threw a cruel twist that rocked Penelope's entire world. Suddenly, it was Julie coming over to spend time at Penelope's house, often finding her tucked away in the treehouse her dad had made for her and her little sister. Her favorite guitar stayed tucked away in the Molina's home studio, her song journal stuffed beneath her mattress, her mom no longer humming along the quiet tune, and that music inside of her, which always seemed to be playing...had gone silent.

Things couldn't get worse, that's what Penelope often said to soften the hurt inside of her. But when Julie's mom passes away just a few short months later, she knew the comforting words she'd often repeat to herself late at night– were nothing but a lie. Not wanting Julie to lose her passion for music like she did, Penelope did everything she could to try and get her to play again. And for those first few weeks, she thought she did– until she realized that the two of them rarely, if ever, stepped foot into the studio.

AS TIME WENT BY, Penelope never gave up on trying to get her best friend to reignite that passion for music, even if it meant lying to her to make her believe that she hadn't done the same. But the truth was, she loved music– but getting herself to actually sit down and play it...hurt too much to do. Especially since two of her biggest supporters, were no longer here and her mom had adopted a new distaste for Penelope being in the music program at school– pulling her out without a reason as to why.

But that didn't mean she never tried, because sometimes, late at night, she'd pull that song journal out from beneath her mattress and re-read her old words before trying to jot down new thoughts out on a blank page. More times than not, she was successful– because according to Dr. Turner, getting your thoughts and words out were better then letting them stay boxed in. Other times, when she stayed at Julie's, she'd sneak down into the Molina studio, find that old guitar and try to play...but nothing ever came out of it.

AND THEN THREE GHOSTS find themselves calling what was the two girls former solace, home. At first, it all seemed like Penelope was going crazy. Ghosts weren't real...and yet, there they were– the three boys, unable to touch people and invisible to everyone but Julie and Penelope. One boy keeps calling her by her mom's old nickname, another wouldn't stop admiring the old vintage band tees of her dad's she frequently wore– and the last, well quite frankly, he was almost too much for her to handle, like a puppy in a boys body.

Irritated by their presence, extreme lack of boundaries and persistence in getting the two girls back into music, Penelope wanted nothing to do with them. Until Luke Patterson brings it upon himself, to make it his personal mission to get Penelope to play the guitar again. Penelope couldn't explain why she felt so drawn to the lead guitarist from a band who died nine years before she was even born, but she did.

And for the first time, in a long time...she could feel the music in her start to play.

♪♫♫♪♫♫♪♫♫♪

!! 𝐀𝐔𝐓𝐇𝐎𝐑𝐒 𝐍𝐎𝐓𝐄 !!

+ this is a work of fan fiction! i don't own the characters or storylines of julie and the phantoms. all rights go to the two creators of the show– dan cross and david hoge. as well as the legend himself, kenny ortega, all of those who worked on the show and of course, netflix. however, i do own penelope holloway, noah spencer and the cunningham family as well as any other oc's in this book, their personal plot lines and dialogue within this book.

+ apparently i had pre-added the show to my netflix list, earlier in quarantine, but really didn't sit down to watch it until like three weeks ago thanks to all of the tiktok's on my fyp. i literally fell in love with it from the first episode and drafted an idea– but since i had my jj maybank/outer banks fic going on (check out vapor!) i didn't want to start something and get overwhelmed.

+ i'm not exactly sure how long the timeline of season 1 is, but for the sake of this story, there might be some added extra days in– just for length purposes because i'm a sucker for details and i want to extend this book for a good amount of chapters– sooo, there will probably be some stuff that wasn't in the show, inputted for storyline purposes.

+ i'm in love with this show, its cast and the soundtrack and i just really hope that this fic turns into what i envisioned it to be and that you all enjoy reading it, as much as i'm sure i'll enjoy writing it!

+ LAST BUT NOT LEAST― this fic only came to be thanks to the lovely quinn1246 ! it was her message asking if i'd ever consider writing a luke/jatp fic that rekindled my inspiration for getting back into drafting this story and not forgetting about it!

𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘯𝘬 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘧𝘰𝘳 𝘵𝘢𝘬𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘵𝘪𝘮𝘦 𝘵𝘰 𝘴𝘬𝘪𝘮 𝘰𝘷𝘦𝘳 𝘰𝘳 𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘯 𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘥 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘴 𝘴𝘩𝘪𝘵𝘵𝘺 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘣𝘦𝘤𝘢𝘶𝘴𝘦 𝘭𝘦𝘵'𝘴 𝘣𝘦 𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘭, 𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘺𝘣𝘰𝘥𝘺 𝘩𝘢𝘵𝘦𝘴 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘴𝘦.