"Forgive me my lady, I was told they direwolves would be out of harms way when the men arrived."

"No, its alright. I suppose I should thank you for saving me." She brushed it off. Joanna stood up as she observed the woman standing in front of her. She was dressed in armour with the furs to match. She was beautiful but more than that - she exuded power,

"You're her, arent you? Shae Lin, you'll be fighting in Robbs war?"

"Yes, I am princess, What of you? Whos side will you fight on when the Lord of Winterfell marches South?" Shae sympathetically asked her. She could understand to any man this must be an excruciatingly difficult decision to make. Joanna sighed. She had already made her decision but that didnt mean she was ready to face the consequences of them.

"I do but either way I'll be betraying someone."

The room went silent when Shae entered. Men glaring at her and those who didnt were practically undressing her with their eyes. Her father prepared her for battles but never on how to gain the respect of men who deem it fit that she sit by the fire and knit.

Robb smirked when he saw her enter, the men surrounding him might question his judgement but he knew why he wanted her on the battlefields and he wouldnt regret it. As wielded as she was in weaponry, it was her focussed mind that would bring them victories. Her father was the reason Roberts Rebellion was such a triumphed success.

He planned every strategy, every placement of a horse, ever detail perfectly executed. Robb sympathised for the loss of her father but he was glad Shae would join him at his side, the same however couldnt be said for Joanna.

He broke his vow and now she faces the task of deciding between her family and the Starks. He promised her she wouldnt have to but look now. Should she choose the Starks and face the same fate as the men charging South but should she choose her family shed be betraying his trust.

"The bloody wall will melt before an Umber marches behind a Glover!" Greatjon exclaimed as Robb grew tired of his negotiations. Greatjon, another seasoned in battle , Shae learnt is a very temperamental man. Dropping her hands on the table when the man stood up from his seat.

"You are welcome to do so, Lord Umber. And when I am done with the Lannisters, I will march back North, root you out of your keep and hang you for an oath breaker."

Silence fell amongst them. Shae realised she truly was in the presence of Eddard Starkss son. Most boys would grow arrogant with the rise to power they inherit from their fathers but Robb Stark seemed to understand perfectly what it meant to be Warden of the North.

"Oathbreaker, is it? I'll not sit here and swallow insults from a boy so green he pisses grass!" Greatjon proclaimed. He turned to Shae seated across Theon Greyjoy.

"And what of this?! You expect us to fight alongside women now? This is war boy, you should be keeping women hidden behind the castle walls not in the battlefield! The girl is no older than you - for all we know she hasn't even bled yet." Greatjon continued earning a few laughs from his men.

"And where is the blonde one?" He asked. Shae could tell the brief glance that Theon gave Robb that Joanna was not a subject theyd want to have put on display for others to ridicule. Shae took notice how Robbs Tully blue eyes turn darker.

"Where's the Lannister girl, eh boy? Do you have her silks packed for Kings Landing or will she be hiding behind your cloak when you slaughter her family? Answer me, where is she?" Greatjon exceedingly ranted earning more laughter from the men. The wooden door swung open and low and behold there she stood. The princess dressed in the finest gown wearing a true Northern fur coat.

"I'm right here Lord Umber. I take it by your constant rambling that I've been summoned?"

"Right, let me ask you this girl. When we march South, should I expect you to fleeing to your mother or hidden in Robbs Starks bed?" Joanna smirked at his arrogant comments.

"You'll find me on the battlefields, next to my Lord Stark. When we avenge the injustice my family has brought upon his." Robb looked at her surprised. He truly didnt know where she stood but now - he didnt expect her answer to this. Greatjon looked just as surprised as the rest of the men did. One of the Umber men laughed as he looked between Shae and Joanna

"And what is it you know about war, my beautiful princess?" Joanna smirked as she sauntered towards the table. Taking three knives from the table she raised her arm as she aimed it to the mounted deer head that hung above on the wall behind his head.

"You men seem to forget who I am. I am Joanna Baratheon. My father - Robert Baratheon. Killer of the Rhaegar Targeryen." The knife flung through the air hitting the dead in its void left eye. She took hold of another knife and it aimed it

"My uncle is Jaime Lannister - Commander of the Kingsguard, protector to the people of the realm but you all know him as the Kingslayer. Mercilessly killed the Mad King." Another sword flung behind the Umber mans head hitting perfectly in the middle of the right eye. She picked up the last knife, turning to Lord Umber looking him straight in the face

"And my grandfather is Lord Tywin Lannister. Former hand to the Mad King, richest man in all of Westeros. Does it not leave you awake at night when you remember that seven kingdoms united in fear of Tywin Lannister?" Right in its throat the last knife travels. Shae forced her laugh down as the men grew uncomfortable with Joannas actions. Perfect aim, not off by an inch. She was making her point very clear. Lord Umber looked disgruntled back to Robb who was smirking proudly at the princess

"Now you listen here girl -" Before Lord Umber could finish his words Greywind leapt onto the table and lunged himself at the Lord. His scream echoed through the hall, falling to the ground as Greywind devoured on him ripping his two fingers off.

"My Lord father taught me it was death to bare steel against your Liege Lord. And I take great offence to your dishonourable commentary towards a lady. But doubles the Greatjon only meant to cut my meat." Lord Umber groaned in pain as he rose to his feet again. Clutching his blood soaked hand

"Your meat - is bloody tough." Greatjon started laughing, the men along with Robb joint in easing the tension Lord Umber brought upon himself.

"I must say I have a new found respect for you princess. I've heard tales about how unorthodox you are and you exceed my expectation." Shae laughed as the two women stood under the stars firing their arrows. Joanna smirked - it was the first time shed ever been able to have a conversation with a woman about combat, As a child she trained with Jaime, alone and in secret because she knew Robert would disapprove of his delays to have her betrothed.

"Thank you, my grandfather always said a lion doesn't concern itself with the opinions of sheep but I just thought I might help Lord Umber in the right direction. I think tonight reminded them not to underestimate us." She replied firing her last arrow right through the previous three.

"Speaking of grandfathers - how do you think your family will take it , once the news breaks that youre fighting for the Starks?" Shae asked lowering her bow to look to the princess. Joannas face softened

"I don't know. They won't kill me. My grandfather is too proud to kill a Lannister. I'd probably get the same treatment as my uncle Tyrion and believe me when I say it is the lowerst of low."

"May I ask, why are you fighting for the Starks?" Shae questioned. Joanna had to use her words wisely now making sure she doesnt reveal too much from the letter that Isabella sent her.

"I've been made aware of the crimes my family has commited. I love them but I cant turn my head around everytime I refuse to see my family ruining lives. I don't want this to define my house anymore. I want reconciliation between our houses where no noble house is above another."

"That's very noble princess but you have remember who we're fighting against. The Lannisters have Robb's sisters and his father is charged as traitor, the Starks have your uncles and you. It doesn't matter which side you look the end of this war will end in bloodshed. I just hope you are prepared to face that."