"And you can't determine the smell?"

"It's not something I've smelt before, sir," she was always so respectful to him. Even though he wasn't Alpha yet, it was good to be treated with respect.

"I'll check it out," he started running towards the directions she gave. Bella was an amazing hunter and tracker, but he didn't exactly want to test her fighting abilities with a rogue. Those beasts were a plague to them.

"Sam, Ed," he contacted the rest of his hunting party. "Follow Bella's directions," he ordered. There were always rogues around that loved to run onto their territory for a quick bite. It was annoying to say the least.

Bella seemed a little annoyed that she couldn't come with. As much as Max tried to treat her as an equal on these trips, she wasn't ready for Rogues. She was a smart kid nonetheless. Her parents had taught her to respect all that were above her, and she followed that rule religiously.

Some of the pack members thought that she could be his mate. Her hunting skills and sense of responsibility was definitely worthy of the 'Luna' title. But Max couldn't see it. Her parents desperately wanted him to, but he couldn't. It felt too much like she was a student of his. And that just seemed weird to him.

The city to the Southeast of them was closing onto the other side of their territory. It was a small city, and, just beyond it's border's was the end of what they had been able to claim.

Max would like to claim more of the surrounding territory past the city. The Rogues loved trying to get in through that small place. If it weren't for a treaty that Max's great grandfather had made with the town leaders of the day, they probably would have already laid waste to that place.

When Max became the true Alpha, he would claim all the land around that city. Not only would it assist in keeping the city safe, which was a part of the treaty, but it would give the pack more room to grow.

"I don't smell anything," Ed said. "Bella, are you sure you didn't just smell one of the bakeries from the city or something?"

Bakeries? Max was going to ask why he asked such random question when he finally caught a whiff of it himself.

It was human, but this one smelt sweet. Like a freshly baked apple pie.

"You know I don't like bakeries," Bella answered.

Max had almost completely ignored them. His every sense was now focused on this smell. As much as it smelt sweet, something was off about it.

And humans didn't usually smell sweet.

"Will you guys shut up already?!" Sam came into the conversation. "You're giving me a headache."

"You're just fussy because Leah's pregnant again," Ed teased. He was always the person who liked to lighten up the mood. Hunting could get long and boring sometimes. He was the best person to help pass time and have fun.

"Wait until you wind up on pup #3," He said. All Ed did was laugh.

"Guys," Tyler interrupted them, "We need to focus on the mission. Has anyone found the scent?"

"I have," Max replied instantly, "I think it's human."

"You think?" Sam asked, "Weren't you supposed to be the best hunter in the pack?"

He knew that the tan wolf was only joking, but it still didn't stop him from growling in response.

"Humans don't normally smell like this," He ran faster towards the scent. The stronger it became, the more entranced he seemed to be with it. It was as if it was pulling him. For the first time in a long while, he actually felt excited.