chapter 1

"Shit!" I yelled as I realized I forgot my toothbrush at home. "Watch your mouth, Ana." My mom said sternly from the front of the car. "What did you forget this time?" She asked sarcastically. "It doesn't matter! They'll probably have them at Hogwarts." I responded.

Hogwarts. My favorite place to be. During the summer break, I went back to the U.S, where I live, and I've missed it so badly. I wasn't able to write to any of my friends either, because APPARENTLY that's "Not how it works"?? It makes no sense, but that's what mom told me so I guess she's right.

She's never really been the type to show much emotion, I think the last time I saw her genuinely smile was when the last time I left for Hogwarts. She's not mean or anything, well, not usually. She's just a little closed off. I don't really know why, and I don't care much to ask. Some people are just like that I guess.

"We're here." Mom said, jerking me out of my thoughts about going back. I practically jumped out of the car because I was so excited. Plus, that car ride was REALLY boring, like, more than normal. I grabbed my bags from the trunk and noticed mom wasn't getting out of the car. "Aren't you gonna come with me?" I asked, with a smile on my face. Please come. I thought, as she looked back at me with a straight face. "I have some things to attend to so I can't. Besides, you're 16 years old now, you're old enough to go without me." She answered me with a stern tone. Wow. So now she can't even take 5 minutes to walk me into a train station? Cool.

"Okay. Well, bye I guess. See you next year."  I said, trying to look as angry and upset as I could to try and guilt her into coming with me. We've never had the best relationship, but she's my mom, and I really wish she would be there for me. I looked at her sitting in the car, waiting for her to say something. To say literally anything, but she didn't. So I walked away. When I got about 10 feet away from the car, I heard "Ana!" come from the direction of the car. Hopefulness sprung up from my chest. Maybe she's gonna come with me! I turned back to look at her, "Be careful, please." Came from her lips. Wow. The same exact thing she says every year. I don't know why I expected different. I turned around without saying a word and walked into the train station.

This is the best thing that's happened to me this entire summer.

(hi! i'm the author of this story, and i just wanted to say, thank you for reading! i've never written a book before, so this is probably gonna be terrible just letting you know. but i hope you'll stick around to see this dumpster fire of a book take off! okay, i won't keep you any longer. I'll let you read the rest of the book now :) )