Chapter 2

I wiped the sweat away that had popped up on my brow. I pressed the clothes down as much as they would go and zipped the packed suitcase. Coit walked in carrying Kaleb and I sat down to rest on the bed. "Look, Mommy," Coit cooed. "Kaleb drew me a picture so that I won't forget what he looks like while I'm gone." I smiled at his words. I held my arms out and Coit put him down so he could run to me. I kissed the top of his head, taking in the scent of his oatmeal shampoo.

"Daddy will only be gone for two weeks," I assured him. "It will feel like a long time, but he will be back before you know it. And we're going to have so much fun with Uncle Luca." Coit raised his eyebrows as I said that. I shrugged my shoulders. I wasn't sure how much Luca would be around but Coit insisted that I have him at the house with me in case anything happened while he was gone to meet with the publisher about his latest novel.

Kaleb sat in my lap rubbing my belly. I looked up at Coit, "You ready?" He rubbed his chin, "I feel like I'm forgetting something." He patted his pockets and then looked around the room. "I guess it won't matter if I do leave something behind."

"Well, you can't leave without giving me a hug." I stood up and maneuvered Kaleb to my hip. Coit strolled up to me and kissed Kaleb on the forehead and then his lips touched mine. "I wish I didn't have to go." He bent down and kissed my belly. "And you," he spoke to my stomach, "You stay in there until I get back. And don't make Mom feel so bad." I ran my hand over his head. "Everything will be fine with us. We have five more weeks before she makes her appearance."

He stood upright and stretched his arms. "I know. I'm really pushing it close." He picked his suitcase up off the bed and ruffled Kaleb's hair. "Luca will be here around six. Call me if he's late. I left my hotel room number on a notepad in the office." He looked at me, worry creasing the line between his brow.

I pushed his chest. "We'll be fine. Now, go before you miss your flight." He walked to the door and smiled as he looked back at us. "Bye, Daddy," Kaleb called in his small voice. Coit waved at him as he folded his picture and put it in his pants pocket. He left out the room and I waited until I heard the sound of his truck as it roared to life.

I looked down at Kaleb, "Well, what do you want to do now?" He shrugged his shoulders, "Outside?" Playing in the yard was his favorite thing to do. He grabbed my hand and we descended the stairs. "Luca coming to see me?" he asked as we stepped onto the porch. I nodded yes and then he jumped off the steps landing in a small puddle.

I started to scold him, but I was too tired. I sat in the rocking chair as he ran around, collecting rocks and sticks. "I'm going to build a castle, Mommy!" he yelled from the side of the house. "Okay, sweetie." I picked up my phone and dialed the number that I called every day at this time.

I knew all of their voices and names and they all knew me. Kathy answered, "Hope Springs, how may I direct your call?" I patted my stomach as I rocked back and forth. "Hey, Kathy. It's me."

She sounded happy to hear from me. "Good afternoon, Freya. I missed you last week. I was out with a cold. How are you?" I watched Kaleb as he ran around the yard, pretending a leaf was an airplane. "I'm good." There was a pause. "How is he?"

I could hear her shuffling papers and I know she had to be tired of that question. "He's the same today as yesterday. No change. Are you coming tomorrow? He's less agitated on days you come." My heart began to physically ache. I had to close my eyes and swallow down the lump in my throat. "I'll be there in the morning. Please tell him, tell him that I said I miss him." I hung up the phone before I could wait for her reply.

I wiped away the tears that had formed. I pinched the bridge of my nose and looked back up to see Kaleb standing in front of me. "Was that daddy?" he asked me. I rubbed his cheek. It was his daddy, his real one, but he would never understand that. I only nodded my head yea and bit my lip to keep from crying in front of him.