Chapter Twenty-Three

Start from the beginning

"Under the sofa. It must have dropped and bounced there."

Releasing the breath I was holding, I sighed with relief. He had the perfect opportunity to frame me for stealing, but he didn't. Maybe he wasn't such a monster, after all.

He kept his side of the bargain, now it was time to keep mine.

Turning to face Nicholas, I asked him, "Can we talk in private?"

He nodded. "Of course."

We left Constable Doyle receiving praise from Mr. Valentine for finding something that wasn't even lost. He's the criminal, and yet ended up being the hero. Typical.

Nicholas and I made our way inside to the living room, sitting ourselves down on the sofa, cottage painting staring down at us.

I faced him and when I saw the look of concern on his face, I almost couldn't do it.

"There's something I need to tell you. Well, something I need to tell everyone, but I'm telling you first."

"All right..." he said, slowly.

"I have to leave," I blurted out. "It's time I went back to Hobart Town."

His jaw dropped. "You're moving back?" I responded with a nod. "Quitting your governess job?" I nodded again. "The Valentines will be devastated. They love having you here."

"I realise that. And I love being here. If I could, I would stay here forever. But I have to go back to my old life. I'm sorry."

"But why? What's so important there that you have to go back so soon? Do you have children?" I shook my head. "Elderly parents?" I shook my head again. "Then what is it? You can talk to me, Matilda. Please. You've never told me about your life before we met."

"I can't. It's complicated. You would never understand."

He sighed, knowing it was useless arguing with me. "When do you have to leave?"

"Tomorrow."

"Tomorrow?" he exclaimed. "You didn't think to tell us a little sooner?"

"I only just found out. I know it's sudden."

We were silent for a moment and we heard the band resume their playing outside. The auction must have ended.

Nicholas stared down at his hands and I could tell he was upset.

"It's fine," he said as he looked back up at me. "Hobart Town isn't too far away. I'm sure we'll still see each other from time to time. I go there quite often to deliver paintings. And I'm sure you'll visit here, too, to see Isabella and the children." He halfheartedly smiled at me.

"Oh, no, Nicholas, I don't think-" I stopped at the sound of a man shouting outside.

We exchanged confused glances and stood up to follow the sound of the voice. As we exited the house through the front door, we found Mr. Valentine, Isabella and Robbie in the midst of an argument.

Mr. Valentine had ahold of Isabella's elbow, pulling her away from Robbie.

"How dare you two sneak behind my back!" Mr. Valentine yelled. "I had my suspicions there was some sort of infatuation going on between you two, but never thought you would act on it."

"Please, sir! Let us explain!" Robbie pleaded.

Mr. Valentine scoffed. "There is nothing to explain. Any feelings you think you have for each other ends now. Isabella will be marrying who I choose."

"Father, no!" cried Isabella. "I'm 26, I am old enough to choose my own husband."

"Perhaps, but are you old enough to choose the right husband?"