Miles and Miles Away

Start from the beginning

Sapnap chuckled, "I don't care."

Bad shook his head. "Please, Sapnap. Just give George some space."

"Thank you, Bad."

"However," He continued. I knew it was too good to be true. "We heard Dream's side of the story, I would like to hear George's as well." Both of them looked at me like headlights and I was the deer.

"What story?"

"Dream said that the night you two kissed, you were the one who confessed your feelings. Is that true?"

"No." My voice trembled and the sweat from my palms were starting to smear on Scotty. "I never actually said my feelings. I never said I was in love with him or anything."

They both looked at each other. It was like they were communicating through telepathy because they both turned back to me at the same time.

"Okay, what happened after that?"

I shrugged. "You guys were there! You know what happened."

"Okay, we knew you guys were really awkward around each other for a little bit. And then you guys just suddenly got into a fight. That's all me and Sapnap knew."

"Dream said you became more distant after you guys kissed," Sapnap added.

"No I didn't." I took slow breaths, and I ignored the growing lump in my throat and the deep-seated sinking in my chest. "I-I didn't mean to."

"George, are you telling the truth?" Bad asked. "Because you're not really matching what Dream's saying."

"Because he's wrong. He took everything wrong," I retorted.

"So how do you feel about Dream then?" Sapnap asked.

"Oh, my God!" I got up to my feet. "Why does any of this matter? Everything is already in shambles. How it happened no longer matters."

"Because this isn't just about you, George," Sapnap hissed.

"Sapnap wait—" Bad tried to intervene. Sapnap got to his feet.

"This is about you and Dream. I have known him for over eight years and I know that you have made him cry more than anybody else. From morning til we left he has been the one in shambles, not you." He crossed his arms. "And the worst part is, I don't even know how to help him because I don't even know what happened." His voice waned and he gazed down at the carpet.

"Sapnap, calm down," Bad said gently.

"Why? He hurt my best friend and he doesn't even feel bad."

"Of course I feel bad," I said, my eyes burning. I ran a hand through my hair as I looked up at the younger boy. "That's all I've been feeling for the past few days. All I've felt is guilt because I know this is all my fault. I'm not an idiot, Sapnap. I know that every single time Dream has looked me in the eye before walking out that it was my fault. I do feel bad. I feel so. fucking. bad." My voice cracked despite my vast attempts not to. I tightened my grip around the blue alpaca in my hand.

Sapnap's tough exterior softened just a little bit before he realized and toughened back up. We looked each other in the eye. I waited for him to say more, and I assumed he was doing the same to me.

"George," Bad said softly as if he were talking to a kitten. "What happened?"

I took a trembly breath. I was not going to crack. I was not going to crack. Not now. Not surrounded by people, even if it was two of some of my closest friends. I had held on for so long that I wasn't ready to let go just yet.