Chapter 66

Chapter 66: An intimate distance 

“Can we talk, Mr. Lu Wenxue? Don’t be surprised. I can see you. I am here to help your son. So, I want to ask you something about your past…”

*buzz buzz* Before I could finish, my cellphone was ringing. The serious atmosphere was broken by the phone call. It was bad regardless I picked up or not. I apologized to Lu Wenxue. “Sorry, give me a second. I need to pick up a call.”

I walked a few metres away.

The phone displayed: My most beloved boss.

My most beloved boss. Who….?

Don’t tell me it was Suyang? 

But this was in my phone contacts?

“Hello?” Since I wasn’t sure who it was, I politely picked up.

“Where did you run off to?” I could hear the annoyance from the other side.

Based on the sluggish and stretched out sounds, I could tell it was Suyang.

I glanced at Lu Wenxue. He was still waiting for me. “I’m out right now. It’s very important. I gotta….”

“If you dare to hang up on me, you’re not getting your salary this month.”

How dare he use my precious salary to threaten me? I was steaming mad. “How can you deduct my salary? This is considered illegal bullying of staff! I am protesting! I protest against unreasonable deduction of wages!”

“Miss Lin. Please speak with your conscience. You’re my assistant. I am using money to buy your 24 hours to help me. Yet, you’re telling me you’re busy doing something else during work hours? And you dare to accept my salary?”

“I….” I was at a loss for words. Compared to other assistants, I was kind of unreliable. But that was because Suyang wasn’t usually that strict… wasn’t there a saying? If the upper beam isn’t straight, the lower beam will be crooked?

“Well, no matter what, I’m against deducting wages. There are 30 days in a month, 24 hours in a day. I don’t have a single day off! Plus, earlier, you didn’t have any specific orders. Just let me out for a bit….”

“Where did you go?”

“I….I went to see a friend.”

“Friend? Obviously, you’re lying. Did you go find Shaonu again?”

“No! No! No!” Suyang figured it out so quickly! Ahhhh. I was so scared that I rushed to create an explanation. “I’m really out to see a friend. Can we chat after I return? I really…”

“Denying only takes once. But three times or more goes to show you’re doing something fishy.” Suyang analyzed like he was Sherlock Holmes. “I’m giving you thirty minutes to return. If not, your month salary is gone.”

Before I could reply, Suyang hung up on me.

Uggh! How rude! He used my salary to threaten me. It was something I valued the most!