"How did he die?"

"Hunting accident. Attacked by a boar." Robb answered.

"No word has been said about who will sit on the Iron Throne. Though you are the Kings first born –" Joanna groaned as she dreaded hearing the words that would escape Robbs lips

"But because I am a woman – the throne will go to my brother. Joffrey, king of the andals, ruler of realm and the man to sit the Iron Throne." She spat. Joanna could feel the anger brewing inside of her body. She sighed but turned to have her hand smash into the wall behind her. The impact to hard it left a dent in the walls. Robbs eyes widened in shock. It took a large amount of strength to leave a wall that dented. Perhaps under her caring persona there lied anger – too much anger that was longing to burst out

"I'm sorry for your loss Joanna. I know you didnt love him but still he was your father." Robb attempted to sympathise. Joanna rested her head in her hands as the lump in her throat formed. She could feel the tears escape her eyes.

"It's not fair. It was supposed to be me.I – he promised it would be me!" She screamed in anguish

"You wanted to sit on the Iron Throne?" Robb asked as he approached her. He wrapped his arms around her waist as she rested her head in the crook of his shoulder. Her cries growing louder and louder and the only words to leave her mouth continuously was

"It can't be Joffrey. If it is – were good as dead."

The next day Robb stood in hall reading the first letter he received from Sansa in ages. Joanna and Theon seated beside him. Maester Luwin had received a raven from the capitol itself. Joannas stomach clenched. She had yet to read the letter stamped with the mocking bird but two letters from the capitol within less than a week brought no good news.

"Treason? Sansa wrote this?"Robb questioned as his eyes read through his sisters hand writing.

"It is your sisters hand but the Queens words. You are summoned to Kings Landing to swear fealty to the new King." Maester Luwin looked to Joanna with sympathy knowing well how uncomfortable she must feel in the position she finds herself in.

"That's not all." Maester Lywin informed. His eyes peered to the princess with both Robb and Theon turning to her.

"Joffrey demands that his sister be brought back to Kings Landing. Seeing as Robert is dead. The agreement of your betrothal is void." Joanna bit the bottom of her lip. She missed her family that she couldnt deny but knowing Joffrey he probably has a cage built to torture and maim her. Theon look surprised to her. It was the first time hed ever see fear on her face. Genuine fear. It meant that if his own sister feared him – then it meant more than ever that the Lannisters were a threat to them all.

"Joffrey puts my father in chains, now he want his ass kissed?"

"This is a royal command, my lord. If you should refuse to obey – "Luwin informed but Robb was too impatient as he interrupted

"I won't refuse." Robb replied. Joanna jumped out of her seat taken back in distraught to his words. Did he really care so little for her that he would hand her over to Joffrey as if she was nothing more than sheep.

"Robb – "

"I won't refuse Joanna. His Grace summons me to Kings Landing, well go to Kings Landing. But not only. Call the banners." Theon grinned proudly at his brothers words. Joannas fist clenched at his words.

"They've all sworn to defend my father, have they not?" Robb questioned the Maester

"They have."

"Now, we see what their words are worth."

Robbs fingers grazed the princesss hand. Her fist released as he took hold of her hand as he seated himself down again.

"Are you afraid?" Theon asked

"I must be." He answered as he lifted his free hand that was shaking severly

"Good." Theon answered

"Why is that good?"

"It means youre not stupid."

That night Joanna sat in her bed as she had the sealed letter in her lap. She laughed at the irony of the stamp. A mockingbird. When she started as handmaiden there was one incident where she had told the princess about all the tales she heard all the way from High Garden.

Rumours of a certain Tyrell who had found himself in Renly Baratheons chambers. The two laughed simply in the immaturity but unknowingly Varys had heard it. He was impressed that the young handmaiden was able to receive information from that far across the capitol.

Joanna remembered one day at one of Roberts tourneys the Maester of Whispers complimented her handmaiden. Calling her a mockingbird. It was coincidentally Isabellas favourite animal. The mockingbird – a name all to fitting for her. It was Isabella. Her handmaiden – her ally , best friend. No, her sister. She removed it as she revealed the letter. In the finest of handwriting she

Joanna

You have no idea how much I miss you. The Red Keep grows queit and less joyful not that you have left. I find my days less joyful now that youre no longer by my side. The Stark girls – well are quite a challenge. But the youngest Arya , oh she is quite joyful to be around. Shes free willed and adventurous and reminds me so much of how we used to be at her age but I fear we have more pressing matters to discuss.

I assume you have been informed that King Robert has died. Died at the hands of a boar. Seems ironic how he died not at the hands of his enemies that he fear lurked across the Narrow Sea but his own drunk futility. Because of his death it would appear the crown has now been left to your brother. Joffrey serves as king and Ive been informed your mother plans to be his advisor. The title of hand of the king is now unknown.

Ned Stark – as honourable as he may be is a fool. On more than one occasion I have warned him to act responsibly seeing that he deemed it upon himself to investigate the death of Jon Arryn. Now he finds himself charged with treason with no ally to stand in his corner. He made mistakes such as openly discuss his suspicions with Grand Maester Pycelle and Lord Baelish. The last remaining men he had were murdered at the hand of your uncle Jaime, who Ive been told can be found at Castlerly Rock, under the protection of your grandfather.

Joanna, this is an incredibly dangerous situation for you to be in. Your brother is demanding you return to Kinds Landing, with your mother agreeing with it. With Ned Stark charged as criminal and the King dead your betrothal to Neds son Robb its not void. There is no betrothal. As much as I love and miss you it would be unjust to not warn you of this.

The Lannisters are planning to usperp the Baratheons. Joffrey has no skills to sit on the Iron Throne, Sansa finds herself in the hands of your mother who is making it her top priority to manipulate her to the best of her capability. Theres a war coming and you need to be ready when it does.

Joanna, you have to be on the right side of this war. I know I ask too much but please – you know the nature of your family. The Realm will suffer greatly should your brother serve as King. I beg you to choose with your mind and not your hearts desires.

- Baela