THIRTY

THIRD PERSON.

"The thing that sucks about this road trip is that I never know where we are because I've only ever been to Lakeside," Kai explained as Corbyn nodded, "Like we could be in Colorado and I wouldn't even know - where are we even going right now?"

"California." He said as Kai nodded before shooting her head towards him.

"Corbyn what about-

"It's our last state," he looked at her, "I want to take you to Sam Francisco. Do you trust me?"

Kai slowly nodded, going quiet before looking out of the window as Corbyn sighed and grabbed her hand, "You're going to be caught."

"I won't be caught, we'll be there for an hour." He said, noticing the California sign in the distance, "I just want to show you one thing before we make the drive back to Lakeside."

"I'm not going back to Lakeside-"

"Kai you say that but I know you miss it," Corbyn mentioned as she looked at him, "You miss your friends and I know you miss your dad."

"You're acting different," she replied, "Why do you suddenly want me to go back?"

"I never said-"

"You're convincing me to want to go back, you've never said anything like that to me before," Kai told him, letting go of his hand, "Is there something you aren't telling me?"

"Kai what would I not be-"

"Does someone know where we are? Are you taking me to California so we can get caught on purpose? Are you wanting to get rid of me-"

"Kai!" He interrupted her, pulling the car over as he turned to look at her, "I just said this is the only state left."

"We never went to Arizona."

"Yes we did," he furrowed his eyebrows as she shook her head, "Kai why would I want to get rid of you?"

"Because you miss LA, you miss being in the spotlight, I don't know," Kai said as Corbyn shook his head.

"The whole reason I went back to Lakeside was to get away from LA again, why would I want to suddenly go back?" Corbyn asked as she shrugged.

"You're still acting different." Kai folded her arms, shuffling away from the boy as far as she could as he sighed and put his head in his hands, "I'm sorry it's just I thought we were going to avoid California and you always say I don't need to go back to Lakeside and now you're doing the complete opposite?"

"You're completely overthinking it," he sighed again, "Kai I just thought you'd want to see California."

"It's just suspicious to me," she shrugged slightly, "Sorry..."

"No, no Kai it's fine." He said, looking up at her before he looked over at the sign that read California, the one he had stopped right beside, "We don't have to go if you don't want to."

"I just have a gut feeling you're going to get found," she said, looking at him, "California is your main home, I just have a gut feeling."

"Then let's avoid it," he shrugged as she shook her head, "I'll trust your gut."

"Just drive," Kai softly said as they made eye contact, "We're close to the end of our trip anyway, let's just go for it."

"Are you sure?" Corbyn asked her as she nodded, "We just need to be extra careful."

"It doesn't matter anymore, we reached the end of the road trip, if something happens then something happens." She shrugged, "We just have to face it."

Corbyn nodded once before placing a small kiss on the girls cheek and starting to drive again, making it past the sign before they were officially in California, sat in silence because the couple knew that within the next week this would all be a memory. 

"I'm not ready to let this trip go," Kai spoke up, playing with the rings on her fingers, "I don't want us to get found."

"It's going to have to end at some point Kai."

"There you go again, you would never say that." Kai looked at the boy, who rolled his eyes, "What are you hiding?"

"Nothing," he shrugged, furrowing his eyebrows, "I have nothing to hide."

"You've done something," Kai said, "Or someone knows about us, what is it?"

"Nothing!"

"It's something."

"Would you just drop it?!" He raised his voice slightly, the veins in his arms becoming slightly more visible as he held a tighter grip of the wheel, "If something was up I'd tell you, stop jumping to conclusions."

The girl nodded, going quiet and turning back towards the window when Corbyn sighed and shook his head, feeling a wave of guilt now that he had upset her, "I'm sorry, I'm just stressed."

"It doesn't matter," she shrugged, "Sorry for jumping to conclusions."

"Kai I didn't mean it-"

"I'm just not ready to let you go, that's all." Kai said, her voice quiet and barely heard by the boy as she wiped one eye.

A/N

oh man they had a small falling out😁👍🏻