"You mean that?" a shaky voice asks. I look up and see Hiro sitting at the very top of the stairs, black hair still wet. "You don't mind if I stay?"

        I smile softly. "I want you to stay. I was unfair to you yesterday; I'm sorry. I'm hoping we can start over."

Hiro smiles gingerly, standing up and walking over to me. To my surprise, he holds out his hand. "I'd like that, too."

        I blush softly, feeling uncomfortable. I glance over at Sebastian and he shoots me a reassuring grin. After only a moment's hesitation, I shake Hiro's hand once. "Who is this?" he asks, pulling his hand from mine and sliding it easily into Sebastian's.

        "Oh, um, that's—"

        "Ash," he finishes, shaking Hiro's hand as well. "I'm Braylen's boyfriend."

         If Hiro is surprised, he doesn't show it. I decide I kind of like him. "Great to meet you."

        "You too, little man," Sebastian responds with a cheeky grin. "I should go. Let you two catch up."

        I turn to Sebastian, cheeks flushed as I walk up to him. "You don't have to," I whisper to him.

        Sebastian loops his fingers through my hair, fingers probing my scalp in a way that made it hard to stand. "I do. This is between you and your family; you've got this. Call me when you're done, okay?"

        I nod once before he leans down and kisses me. This time my knees really do begin to buckle underneath me, but he holds me up by my forearm and I lean into his touch. Sebastian pulls away all too soon, leaving me breathless and wanting more. "Hey," I whisper, clutching onto his shirt. "I love you."

        He knows I don't expect him to say it back. He just kisses my forehead and let's go of me. "I'll see you, Ms. Adams. Hiro, great meeting you."

         My aunt and Hiro echo their goodbyes as he walks out the door, waving back at me once more. I huff a breath and turn to Hiro.

        "So...do you like burgers?"

I watch as Hiro takes a huge bite of his hamburger, mustard sticking itself to the side of his lip. He licks it off quickly before reaching down for another bite, barely even chewing his first bite. He's on his way to do this a third time when he notices my eyes on him. "Sorry," Hiro mutters with a mouth full of food. "My mom is really into healthy foods and stuff. I haven't had a burger in, like, forever."

"All good," I respond back, taking an awkward bite of my fry. Heaving a sigh, I decide to stop beating around the bush. "Why did you come here?"

Hiro stops eating altogether. I watch as he swallows the food in his mouth and takes a long sip of his Diet Coke. "My dad died in November, you know? Car crash. He was on the way to something for his job and the roads were slippery and...well, you know the rest."

I remember that night for more reasons than just his father's death. I nod my head slowly as I feel the first wave of sadness since I'd learned about it wash over me, if not for our father then for the kids he left behind. "I'm so sorry."

Hiro chuckles humorlessly. "My mom doesn't like to talk about it. She just keeps it moving. Go to school, do homework, play football. My dad died and she's the one who can't even talk about it."

The anger in his voice surprises me as he continues. "We went to the will reading right after Dad's funeral. Up until then, he'd only mentioned you once or twice. I hardly remembered you even existed up until then so I'm sure my younger siblings didn't either. Oh, I'm the oldest by the way. Two younger sisters."