Chapter Twelve

"Regina, I'm fine," Emma claims, her bloodshot eyes extra watery as she peeks up from her cup of coffee and she might have been able to pull off the lie if her voice wasn't struggling to escape her swollen throat.

"You aren't fine and you need to rest," Regina insists, swiftly stealing Emma's coffee away and it's a shame the blonde's reflexes have been weighed down by her sickness. "You should be drinking this instead," she demands, sliding a new cup underneath the pout aimed her way.

"Tea? I hate tea," her roommate whines, the heel of her palm rubbing against her watery eyes.

"Well, too bad. There is extra lemon to cut the infection and honey to soothe you, just drink it."

Emma skeptically eyes her and Regina can feel the heat rising to her own cheeks because she knows why the blonde is scrutinizing her. It has everything to do with their heavy and private conversation at the clinic two days ago. She understands Emma well enough now to know she hates being pitied. She's a strong, stubbornly independent woman that has been taking care of herself since she was three-years-old and she's not about to allow just anyone to barge into her life and help her.

Except, Regina doesn't pity her, in fact she admires her independence and strength. She just...well, she's feeling this pull toward the woman and her heart is twisting every time she sees Emma sniffle and wipe at her tired watery eyes. She can't stop herself from wanting to take care of her friend. Yet, there's a sensation filling in her heart, it feels like possession and it's quietly informing her that Emma is hers and she needs to protect her at all costs.

"I get what you're doing," Emma grumbles, propping her head lazily against her fist.

"I'm just trying to take care of you, since you won't take care of yourself. Please stop fighting me," she exasperates, her patience wearing thin after two days of trying to convince Emma to take care of herself.

"I am."

"Working out, drinking coffee and eating bags of chips is not taking care of yourself," she explains gently, trying not to sound too scolding when she knows Emma has no idea how to slow down in life.

"Look, I appreciate you trying to be nice because of what I told you at the clinic, but-"

"Emma, that's not what this is," Regina rejects the assumption, sliding into the seat next to her roommate at the kitchen table. "Here, under one roof with Lennox, it makes us a family. A dysfunctional one," she muses, provoking a small smirk to tug at the corner of Emma's dainty mouth, "but it's still a family," she declares with conviction. "And that means that we help each other out when the other is in need, right?"

"I guess so."

"It does," she growls, narrowing her eyes until Emma chuckles and nods along hopelessly. "Alright, so that means when you are sick, I will shove tea down your throat and make homemade soup and nag about you taking your medicine."

"And I do all that when you get sick?" Emma curiously inquires and never has she appeared so young to Regina.

"I don't get sick, dear," she smugly replies, patting Emma's head like a puppy, until she realizes the heat and pauses. "Emma, you're hot."

"Just like you to hit on me when I'm at my weakest and can't do anything about it."

Regina purses her lips, unamused at the moment from the concern coursing through her veins.

"Come on, I think you need to take some medicine and get into bed."

"I'm fine," Emma immediately waves her off, moving to sip her tea. "Dr. Love said I wouldn't suffer."