"To be honest with you, I had like, half of one a few days before this whole thing with Brooke was going to happen," his voice came out hesitant, hand still holding on to mine as we walked over to the usual dirty Jeep we took trips in.

I looked up at him, playing around with his fingers like he usually did with mine, "What?" I wasn't upset, honestly, I kind of understood. He only had half of one, and even if he had more than that, it's not my place to tell Luke how to live his life. I wasn't that type of person; do what you do and I'll do what I do.

"Brooke is stressful and I was nervous and kind of freaking out," he starts, "so I had one because you weren't around to be that distraction."

"I could've been, though." Not when he was dealing with it, but before and after. Luke has a problem with actually accepting help.

"I've told you before that I would be with you twenty-four-seven if I went to you when I was anxious and having problems." I remember that, but he of all people should know that I don't care.

"And you honestly think I would mind that?" My eyebrow rose, thinking back to the time when I told him that it was perfectly okay.

"Well, considering the fact that you haven't gotten annoyed with me yet, I'd like to keep it that way. And it's bound to happen if I'm bothering you with my life." It kind of made me upset to think that even after this, Luke still doubts what's going on. In no way was I ever going to become bothered by the company that he gives me, and not to mention the company he's given Grady through Ethan. Both of our families are practically thriving in the social department because of him.

Attempting to lift his mood a little, which was obviously faltering, I tried my best to keep a straight face as I offered, "If it happens, you can throw Grady's smelly socks at me."

"You hate feet, Michelle," he laughed. While he was scrolling through his phone before pulling out of the driveway, I made sure the volume wasn't going to cause us a heart attack or any form of ear injury when his music started playing.

"Exactly, so it would be equal enough punishment." A song started over the speakers, taking me more than a few seconds to figure out what was playing. Who knew Luke listened to 3OH!3. "My new reason to like you is the fact that you put songs from 2008 in your playlists that everyone else would be embarrassed by."

Out of the corner of his eye, Luke glances at me and then shrugged, "As long as you like me."

"This makes it actually feel like a summer road trip," I laughed. "Only those cliche teenagers with actual friends listen to songs from their awkward stage during a long car ride."

"We can make it one," Luke turned the volume down and offered, "maybe go to the place I wanted to show you after we stay at the cliff for a while."

I nodded, focusing on the song he decided to skip to. "So, you fixed your problem. I did, too," I smiled, quite proud that I did.

"You and Michael are okay?" He seemed happy about it, which made me happy because even when Luke knew that Michael hated (but not really, we know that now) him, he didn't really hate him back. I don't think Luke could genuinely ever hate anyone.

"I'm pretty sure, yeah," I told him, "so maybe now he can attempt to actually be your friend, kind of."

"I'm more than positive he probably still hates me, Michelle," Luke shook his head at me, denying the fact that Michael could actually forgive him for everything. Even he had a hard time doing that for himself.

"No, he told me. I promise," I reassured him. He nodded quickly, glancing at me and then focusing back on the road, where we were currently just avoiding a red light. I recognized some of the signs that we passed as Luke continued driving, mindlessly humming along to music. I'd only ever been here one time before with Luke but I was observant enough to notice that we were only about ten minutes away judging by the familiar vandalism every now and then.