Chapter Thirty-Three: Happiness

Start from the beginning

"I know. But I don't blame you for it..." Taehyung admits. It isn't enough for Talia though.

"How? How can you not blame me? I was--I am--awful..." she stammers, her words adding to Taehyung's confusion, yet he doesn't let it show. Instead, he remains calm and reserved in his emotions, only showing her a serene expression. He doesn't realize how much that expression irks her. How desperately she needs him to be just as emotional and forward with his feelings as she is with hers right now. She needs to understand...

"There's one thing I've learned working with kids...most of them aren't innately bad or evil. They aren't born with prejudices and judgmental attitudes...those are learned," Taehyung explains calmly, his words confusing Talia.

"What?"

"You weren't born awful. You aren't innately a bad person. You were made that way, and I can forgive you for almost all of it," Taehyung says, his words surprising Talia even more.

"What...how..." Talia stammers, and Taehyung can tell this conversation is going nowhere.

"Time and distance gave me the space to understand...I will admit I was hesitant coming back, but Jungkook showed me it would be okay. He made it so I can come face to face with you and not worry anymore," Taehyung says, fighting the dreamy smile that wants to creep over his lips.

"You really love him..." Talia mumbles and Taehyung nods.

"Very much. He's my happiness," Taehyung says, wanting to change the subject off of him, "Which is why I wish you happiness, Talia; I want you to feel the same way I do...and I doubt Daniel does that for you,"

"I love him," Talia says far too quickly. Her words ring out like a lie, and a blatant one at that. Taehyung just stares at her, "What? I do. Don't look at me like that," she snaps before Taehyung sighs.

"If he makes you truly happy, then that's great. If he treats and respects you as you deserve, then I wish the two of you all the happiness in the world," Taehyung states, and he can see Talia flinch. Her eyes look back at the gardens, her shoulders trembling slightly as a cold breeze rushes through the patio area. The tension around them shifts, and Taehyung can tell Talia is diving deeper into her own thoughts... "Talia--"

"Go away...I don't want to talk anymore..." she demands, yet the rain cannot cover up the hurt in her voice...the loneliness and longing and despair that cracks in her words. Taehyung can't help it. He quietly wanders towards her and taps her shoulder. She turns to face him, surprised when he pulls her into a soft hug. She doesn't hug back, her body rigid in his warm grip, but he doesn't care. She needs it. He pulls away after a moment, gazing gently in Talia's shocked and overwhelmed eyes.

"Take care of yourself, Talia..." Taehyung softly says before he turns and goes back inside, leaving Talia alone to think over every life decision she has ever made. As soon as he steps inside, Daniel is there, towering over him so that he can't walk further in the ballroom. And honestly, he is far more terrifying than Talia ever was.

"Excuse me, you're blocking my way," Taehyung says coldly, trying to hide the fear that quakes through him when he sees Daniel's rigid jaw and furious eyes.

"What did you say to her?" Daniel demands, and Taehyung can feel his fear chip away slightly as confusion replaces it.

"What do you mean? I just answered her questions..." Taehyung mumbles before Daniel grabs his arm, shocking the blond boy.

"I'm in no mood for your mumbling, Taehyung, what did you say?!" Daniel growls, and Taehyung narrows his eyes as he fights his instinctive fear.

"Why? Worried I'm going to make her realize how much of an asshole you are?" Taehyung snaps and Daniel tightens his grip.