I Promise Princess, I'm Here To Stay

Song: Cigarette Daydreams by Cage The Elephant

As I continue to run, my mind can't help but replay the note he left me months ago, reminding me how stupid I am for having sex with him. And in his car of all places.

"Don't look for me. Don't call me or ask about me. You won't find me. I don't need you and I don't want you. I'm done with everything that has to do with you. I want you to hate me and never want to see my face again unless it's on the news for either dying or going to prison. Loving you has been my greatest downfall, and now I need to rise and reclaim a kingdom that is broken. Without you."

Tears stream down my face as I crumble to my knees on the sidewalk, choking back a sob. I lean against a brick building behind me, letting the sobs rack through my body until I'm physically shaking.

"Emma?" My head snaps up at the voice, and I see Ollie.

"Go away, Logan," I sob, looking away from him.

"You saw him, didn't you." It's not a question, it's a statement. I nod weakly, not looking at him. Ollie and Q are the only ones who have known of Jake's whereabouts the past six months, but since he is now the Don, they haven't been able to say a word to me.

"Can you take me home? Please?" I beg, finally looking in his direction. He nods, carefully lifting me into his arms, and carrying me to his car that's down the street.

Him and Kira are still going strong, since he's not the one that left. She's slowly getting used to what he does for a living, even though it still scares the shit out of her. He's honestly a great guy. They're perfect together.

I fall asleep in his car, and when I wake up, I'm laying on a familiar bed. But it's not my own. It's Jake's. Fucking Ollie, he brought me to Jake's house. I sit up, bringing my knees to my chest, knowing it's useless to run.

"Emma," his voice sounds from the doorway of his room. I refuse to look up.

"You left. You left without a word, making me think the worst had happened, and then a month later, I get a letter. From you. Telling me you don't want me or need me, and that I was your greatest downfall. I don't know how I forgot about that. It was a mistake having sex with you in your car. I don't need to claim you. You're not mine, and you never will be again," I whisper, looking at my converse clad feet.

"None of that was true, Emma. You have to know that. I needed to make sure you wouldn't look for me, but I know you did anyway. I know that no matter what I did or said, you still held hope for me. I'm so sorry for everything I did and said. I can't make excuses that won't hurt you or make you think I'm lying, but I am so sorry. I'll spend every day apologizing to you, even if you never ever want me back in your life. Please just tell me you don't think it was a mistake," he crawls onto the bed next to me, grabbing my hands. His last sentence referring to what happened a couple of hours ago.

"I have to go," I whisper, trying to pull away from him. He pushes me onto my back, pinning my arms above my head.

"Tell me. Tell me you hate me and that it was a mistake and I'll let you go. I'll disappear from your life for good. Just say it to my face," he begs me.

"I don't hate you, Jacob Cantelli. I did, and I'm still hurt by everything, but I love you more than I could ever hate you. You fucking hurt me so bad though, baby. I didn't deserve that. But you leaving me again would hurt even more. Please don't leave me again," I whisper, choking back a sob.

"I swear to god princess, I'm not going anywhere again. I needed to reclaim my kingdom, but how can I do that without my princess? My queen. My everything. Nothing is right without you. I love you so much, Emma Loren Carter. I swear to god I love you. I swear on everything I stand for. I swear on my parents graves that I love you and I will never hurt you ever again." 

"I'm so stupid for still loving you. And I'm even more stupid for accepting your apology," I sigh, looking into his eyes.

"I understand if you don't want to be with me anymore, Emma. Just please let me know if I even have a chance," he rests his forehead against mine, his eyes closed. I place my hand on the back of his neck, and press my lips to his.

"I'm being completely stupid and reckless, but I will always want to be with you. You have unlimited chances with me, just please don't use another," I tell him after breaking the kiss.

"I don't need anymore chances. I'm not letting you go. I'm so fucking sorry for hurting you after promising not to. I know you don't trust me, and I don't blame you, but I will show you I'm not going anywhere." He pulls me into him, wrapping his arms around me tightly. "Do you still think it was a mistake?"

"What?" I question, looking into his eyes.

"Having sex in my car. Was that a mistake to you?" He's so broken, more than I ever remember him being. The shit he's gone through the past eight months is weighing on him.

"No. It wasn't a mistake. It probably shouldn't have happened, before we actually talked more, but it wasn't a mistake."

"I want you to know that I'm yours. I always have been. No matter what. I know you think I just disappeared, but I never left. I was always there, in the shadows," he tells me, his eyes searching mine, wanting me to believe his words.

"Dani and Kira told me you came to the hospital," I whisper.

"I had to see you. I had to know you were okay after everything. But I couldn't stay. I thought leaving without you knowing was for the best."

"Don't ever do that again, got it? Promise me, Jacob Cantelli." My voice is shaky, but my eyes hold steady contact with his.

"I promise, princess. I'm here to stay."