3. SHAW MANOR

Wicka and subsequent books belonging to “Chronicles of Elizabeth Blake” series are available on Amazon.

After what seemed like an endless drive in silence and discomfort through the English countryside, which I had never seen before, we turned onto a driveway. It was long. The house was hidden, but a sign that read “Shaw Manor” was visible through the tall hedge. My nerves started again.

The house was more like a mini castle than a house. It was covered in grey stone, with lighter grey stones framing the windows. It was the most magnificent building I’d ever seen: an odd mix of old world opulence and warm family comfort. It reminded me of the type of house a wealthy family from a Jane Austen novel would live in.

If I could choose one house in the entire world to live in forever, it would be this one. I felt at peace. The surroundings seemed familiar. The driveway was gravel, not paved—very charming. Tall hedges surrounded the house and ivy grew along the side of one of the stone walls. The gardens were immaculate. I could imagine, in warmer weather, spending hours reading with William on the grass surrounded by beautiful flowers or sneaking off at dusk for a walk to enjoy some privacy.

There was very little snow for this time of year. I was used to snow so high the cars were barely visible. Here, there was just a light dusting. Behind the garden was a forest, beautiful but eerie at the same time. It was full of huge, warm evergreens amongst many leafless trees whose limbs were barely brushed with snow. “Eerie, indeed.” as William might say. I chuckled to myself at the thought of William’s speech pattern—I loved it.

William seemed to notice the change in my demeanor as he sighed and smiled with such warmth. I didn’t want to look away out of fear the moment would pass. Then Sophie asked if we were ready, and my nerves returned again.  I’m sure she sensed this and even enjoyed it. She was probably hoping for the worst, which, in turn, meant the best for her.

William said his goodbyes and we walked towards the door. He was beaming. I’m not sure who he was more excited to show off, me or his family, but he was definitely elated either way. William seemed to be enjoying himself, like he couldn’t wait for the most important people in his life to finally meet.

We entered through the back door into the kitchen.  I was so nervous at the prospect of his family not liking me; I felt shivers drive down my back and through my arms. The cup on the table next to me fell to the ground. William looked at me and for the first time since knowing him, I was unable to grasp what he was thinking. He looked shocked. I didn’t think I’d even touched the cup. “I’m so sorry,” I said as I started cleaning up the mess, feeling as though this was the worst first impression I could have made.

William stopped me and smiled. He took my hand and said, “It’s okay. I love you. You’ll be great.” I can’t believe how quickly he puts me at ease. We entered a family room; they called it the parlour. The entire Shaw clan was standing there waiting for us.

William introduced me and after a very feeble, “Hello,” his youngest sister Natalia came over and threw her arms around me. She was smiling and hugging me like we’d known each other for decades. She said, “I’ve been so excited to meet you. I know we will be great friends!”

Everyone came over, shook my hand and introduced themselves. It was so much easier than I could have imagined. William’s family was so warm and welcoming. I can’t believe I ever could have thought he would come from anything different. 

That night, we dined in the formal dining room, and everyone was on their best behaviour. Lauren was supposed to be pregnant, but she definitely didn’t look it.  When she told me she was in the beginning of her third trimester, I must have looked surprised because she quickly told me that small babies run in their family. Everyone looked at each other as though there was some sort of inside joke.