7. THE THOMPSONS

Wicka and subsequent books belonging to “Chronicles of Elizabeth Blake” series are available on Amazon.

The tension the next day was so thick I could feel it in my bones. I could only imagine what William was feeling. Waiting was excruciating. I had never experienced a longer day. Nobody was speaking about anything but mundane chatter to try to pass the time.

I wondered what the game plan was. What would happen if the Thompsons just said no, that they wouldn’t support me? Was there a “Plan B”?  I certainly felt as though we needed one. To be honest, I didn’t think we had any chance of getting their support.

The day kept dragging on, and it was becoming unbearable. William was a pile of nerves, and all I wanted to do was to be near him, to have his arms around me again, before decisions had to be made. Regardless of what happened tonight, today was the last day we would have without decisions that could change our lives, or even end us.

I couldn’t imagine going on with any sort of life without William in it. I took his hand and felt a surge that he pulled back immediately. He smiled and pulled me close to him so he could wrap his arms around me. His arms engulfed me. With one arm around my body, his hand resting on my waist, and the other around my shoulders, his hand holding my head, I felt truly safe. He was so strong. For a split second, I really believed he would never let anything bad happen to me; then, I remembered his father’s vision. I looked up at him, still wrapped up in his arms, and couldn’t help but smile. He could get me to do almost anything with those beautiful eyes.

We decided to take a walk in the garden. It was a bright, sunny day.  Even though the extensive forest of trees beside their house was bare and sinister looking, the sun made them glisten and seem cheerful. “Are you doing this?” I asked William suspiciously. He smiled and told me he was helping, but barely. It was amazing how I was getting so used to all of this. I wasn’t even bothered by the fact that William was changing the mood of the day. A couple of days ago, this would have infuriated me. Now, it seemed kind of sweet, and I could tell when he was and wasn’t doing it; maybe that’s why I didn’t mind it as much anymore.

I was feeling total bliss. The beauty of William was overtaking me. Even the sun seemed to be shinning only for us. My mind started to wander. I found myself wondering how many other girls he had introduced to his family. This question engulfed me. I couldn’t get it out of my head. “Have you ever brought anyone else home to meet your family?” I blurted without hesitation or a second thought.  He smiled and said, “I’ve never met anyone I wanted my family to meet.”

I couldn’t help myself, so I pushed. “What about Sophie?” I asked trying really hard not to sound like an insecure, jealous girlfriend, although I’m sure I didn’t succeed.

William thought for a moment and replied, “Sophie is a nice girl, attractive in her own right.” I’m sure I rolled my eyes. “But she comes from a family that believes in the old ways. They believe that witches are superior to humans and should have a different place in the world. One of their relatives was an Elder. This is why it would be very helpful for them to support us and endorse you.

“Anyway, Sophie was brought up in that environment and is very close with her family. Even though she seems very tolerant of humans and of our current place in this world, I’ve seen her upset. I’ve felt her feelings towards humans and other witches when things don’t go her way. It’s not nice, and that’s not how I want to live my life. It’s not what I want in a family, in a wife, or in my children.”

That was as complete an answer as I could have hoped for. “So you’ve thought about a family—a wife and kids?” I asked, amazed at him speaking so confidently and directly about this. He smiled and said, “Of course, haven’t you?”