i. Wide-Eyed

—✧—✧—✧—✧—✧—

—✧—✧—✧—✧—✧—

ONE WIDE-EYED WOMAN

(HALF A MILE AHEAD)

—✧—✧—✧—✧—✧—

DELIA THORNE IS infuriated, angry, ticked off; every synonym for angry in the book. Because here's the thing, she does not want to be here. In fact, right now, she's plotting ways to silently murder her parents for some sort of revenge. Maybe she can take the bloody synonym book and bash them over the head with it, knocking some form of sense into their brains. Or maybe she can run away right now. It's not like they'll notice at the moment, not with their incessant bickering.

It's not a new feeling. Delia's been angry before. Most teenagers have, of course. But you know how it is. When you're angry with your parents it's a completely different type of anger. Like, Delia loves her parents — she really does. But they get on her nerves sometimes. Like right now! When they act like teenagers even though they're literal adults with a child, might she add. (Although Delia doesn't really like to think of herself as a child, she thinks she's more mature than that.)

But still. She's taken a health class — teenage hormones and all, but that's not what's happening right now. Right now, she's actually mad at her parents. Because they're being annoying. It only really happens when they're bickering like they are now. Usually, they're incredibly mature people, they're lawyers after all — they've got to be mature for their job. But when they argue with each other? Apparently all the years they spent at law school fly out of the window and they end up arguing like two pre-teens fighting about who's faster.

She remembers this one time, way back during primary school when some absolutely insufferable boy named Drew was going on about how girls weren't athletic and could never ever beat him in anything. Now Delia thinks of herself as a girly girl, she always has — she loves getting dressed up, doing makeup and hair, all of it. But she also loves winning, it's pretty high on her list of things she loves. So of course she had to show him up and beat him in a race. And seven-year-old Delia revelled in watching him angrily storm off, halfway in tears.

Her parents arguing is eerily similar to that. Except for the fact that they actually like each other, and they're not arguing about who's faster. And also, her dad doesn't eat his boogers.

"Vin, I've been trying to tell you that we've been lost for the past half hour!" Gianna shouts.

"Calm down, I know exactly where we are," Vincent says back.

Delia groans, rolling her eyes and sinking into the car seat. Isn't it already bad enough that she's carsick and on the verge of hurling? Now she's got to listen to her parents' obnoxious bickering. When will the fun ever end?