Chapter 37 - The Mother

The job hunting began the next day without any success. Ollie tried helping with finding and getting my resume out to people, but I knew it would all be a waste. No one was going to dare hire me with all of this mess on my record even if it was behind me.

It had only been a full day though since I had been excused from my charges. I still wasn’t sure how I felt about everything working out the way it did. Even with the money out of the way, the magazines still decided to tarnish my reputation.

Already there were headlines from my little speech to the paparazzi the day before such as my own misconstrued quote: “Someone paid for me. I don’t want to thank them. I would appreciate it if you kept your distance.” They took my words and twisted them to please their eager audience. It only made me look even more evil in the eyes of the public. There was no way for me to win against them. I gave up trying.

Responding to the paparazzi then became easy as I resumed a normal lifestyle. With the help of my brother, I moved back into my apartment. Dodging the cameras was the difficult part but it was done and I was happy to be back in my own home. Of course then, people stayed longer around my place hoping to just to get a glimpse of me. Leaving and entering my apartment had become almost a fifteen minute process.

The HiBiscus Apex was to be handed over to the university the following day. Almost nothing had been moved since the day all the girls left. Just when I began to move things around and prepare to remove items, I would find myself unable to let go. I couldn’t do it. I couldn’t throw it all away as if it were nothing. But tomorrow, I had to or the university would do it for me.

I ventured a trip to the grocery store to stock my apartment with enough food to allow me to hide out for a while. Keeping my head down to the ground, I grabbed a cart and eagerly found what I needed. Most of the cart was full after the canned food aisle. That stuff could last for a long time and was reasonably cheap.

Things were relatively quiet for me which was unusually considering my newfound fame. I wasn’t complaining, but I didn’t trust it.

I was right to have that feeling. In the junk food aisle, while grabbing three bags of chips someone gasped in my direction.

“Oh my God! Are you-”

“The girl that ruined all guys’ lives and who has no morals and whatever? Yeah.”

This little redhead teen gushed at my presence. “I’ve been reading about what you did.”

I rolled my eyes. “I know. I’m a horrible person and an awful role model and blah.”

“Oh no!” she muttered. “I think what you did was super cool. You were helping so many girls out by making boys not so full of themselves. It’s awesome.”

“Eh,” I muttered. “It’s not that great. I don’t recommend it.”

“I think it’s awesome,” she replied.

“It’s not,” I insisted. “It was completely wrong of me to use those guys the way I did and to force the girls to work for me.”

“I don’t believe that,” she said. “Those girls couldn’t be forced to do a good job at heart breaking. There is no way you could force them into that.”

The kid had a point.

“And you’re an amazing role model! The way you took total blame for it all! You stick by what you do even if you think it’s a mistake.”

I smiled but it didn’t quite reach my eyes. “Yeah, I guess.”

“Sorry,” the girl muttered suddenly. “I just wanted to tell you that especially since everyone hates you.”