Chapter 16 - The Talk

“His parents were so sweet and unbelievably kind to me. I didn’t know what to do.”

“Oh Charlie! What are you doing?”

“I know! This is exactly what I warn everyone else about!”

Cecilia, Holly, and Jane were all standing around me in the store. Cecilia was on her way out from going home and Holly and Jane were working today. I was filling Cecilia in on the whole holiday weekend when the other two newbies came over to listen.

Cecilia shook her head in disapproval. I sighed and silently agreed with her. This job wasn’t a cake walk and that was a guarantee.

“Being with someone means you gain some sort of an attachment to something on the job. It may not be to that person specifically, though it often is, but it could be something associated with that person such as their family.”

I groaned as Cecilia’s words sunk in. She was becoming me all of a sudden. I was the one who never had to worry about personal feelings and could be stone faced about things like this. Now I was being told to keep myself in check. When did that happen? I had been out of practice for too long.

“I know all of that, and trust me I’m trying to stay away. I miss the days where cases were pretty much open and shut. It never used to be so complicated where you had to meet their family and deal with the problem that you’re not just hurting one person, but you’re hurting everyone. It just sucks!”

Cecilia put one hand on my shoulder. “Now you know how the rest of us feel. You’ve kind of been backstage while we’ve been improving to fit the new style. You were used to high school or working by yourself so now it’s hard, but we’ll get through it. We always do.”

Cecilia was right but I needed time to think and clear my head. I could worry about Preston and his awesome family later.

“You didn’t kiss him, right?” Jane asked suddenly.

I shook my head. “Of course not. We had dessert and then we spent maybe another hour at his family’s house then he dropped me off at the flower shop again. He didn’t even try for a kiss.”

“He’s waiting for you to do it,” Jane said.

I nodded. “Yeah, so don’t worry about it. It’s not going to happen anytime soon then. Looks like the original bet is on. He won’t have me by the end of the month.”

“He’s got two more months then,” Holly reminded. I scowled at her for saying such a thing and let out a frustrated sigh. Two more months of this agony…

“I’m going to the greenhouse. No one disturb me.”

Holly groaned knowing that my mood might have to be dealt with by her later. Jane was still too new to know what was really happening.

“I wish you luck then, Charlie,” Cecilia said. “I’m heading home for today. Goodbye girls!”

The two other girls who were not in our circle yelled their goodbyes as Cecilia left. I gave Holly a pointed look and told her that she was in charge. This earned me another groan but I ignored her.

“No one goes up to greenhouse,” I warned the whole shop.

I began to leave when Jane’s soft voice asked, “What’s in the greenhouse?”

I prepared myself before entering into my sanctuary. I put on an apron to keep dirt off. I put my blond hair up into a ponytail so it wouldn’t stick as much to my face. I put on gardening gloves but would probably come off anyway. I enjoyed the feeling of the flowers in my hands rather than through the gloves. I filled the watering can and spray bottle with water from the hose on the outside then went inside the contained space.