Chapter 26 - The Kiss

It sat on my table; mocking me, reminding me of the future. I glared at the piece of paper in front of me. It was glittered with gold and framed by a fancy ribbon. It was even scented lightly with lavender.

Just another thing to add to my list, that’s all it was. Ollie’s wedding invitation arrived and was smelling up my little mail box. Now it was in my apartment reminding me of all the commitments I had made. I was happy for Ollie, I truly was. It was just the event itself. It was going to be crazy and my cheeks would undoubtedly hurt after smiling for the millions of photos that would be taken there. Then my face would be plastered on every possible magazine and news article cover.

I sighed at the thought. I remembered when I could’ve still comfortably have said that it was still far away into the future. Now, it was coming up faster than inspections did on the club. I couldn’t even imagine what the actual couple was going through. Ollie was probably going through the motions and Brenda seemed adjusted enough into our family. She was most likely helping in the planning and making my mother happy to have the daughter she never had. I wasn’t even upset by that idea.

I had other things to worry about like the biggest smudge on my record: Preston. He was supposedly picking Maggie up later and Charlie was not excited for it. Seeing him again and acting like there was no tension between us was going to be close to impossible. Yet, I would have to do it.

I didn’t want to though. Sitting at my small little excuse for a dining room table, I stared at the invitation in front of me wondering what was happening with my life. Why was this one boy turning everything into a chaotic mess?

My cell phone rang over on my coffee table. I had picked it up the next morning after the battery had died and I had had a long night of sleep. Now it was back in my care and fully charged and still just as annoying.

I huffed myself up from my chair and grabbed my phone.

“Hello?”

“Are you ready yet?”

I fell onto my couch and sighed annoyingly. “Of course not.”

“You better be,” my best friend lectured. “We moved everything to your place so Preston can just pick you up at your place since he knows where it is.”

“Thank the newbie,” I muttered. “I don’t want to get ready.”

“Maggie wants to get ready,” Cecilia argued.

“I can bet you money that she doesn’t either,” I replied. “This is just a pain for both of us.”

“Show him a functioning relationship then you can go hide in a corner and never come out again.”

I took a deep breath in and looked up to my ceiling for some sort of answer. It didn’t help much.

“I guess I better get dressed.”

“That’s right,” Cecilia agreed in a motherly tone. “Don’t make me come over there and make you go on this date with this incredibly hot and emotionally unstable boy.”

“I’m getting up,” I complained while standing from my couch. “And I’m going to my bedroom.”

“Good girl. I can’t wait to hear your report tomorrow.”

“Blah, blah.”

“Love you too!”

I hung up without even a goodbye and threw my phone onto my bed as I entered my room. I glanced toward my closet which held all of what was Maggie. It was going to be a long night.

o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o

“I promise we’ll have some fun tonight,” Preston said with a smile.