Chapter 5, Narrow Escape

My heart pounds loud as I hear the voices draw closer.

"I think there's a slithering pest near us..."

"Oh yes Master of Torture and Pain, indeed there is..."

My HUD immediately reported my increasing heart rate. Moving my hand towards my left leg and unholstering the Desert Eagle Mark XIX. I ready for close-quarters engagement.

HUD: MOTION BEARING DISTANCE, 10 FEET.

Immediately I turn around and are faced with two female angeloids, one with green hair and the other with yellow. One of them looked sadistically at me.

"This pest is mine."

In a split second instance, adrenaline shot through my body as I dodged back, barely avoiding her grip. Raising my Desert Eagle, I fired off a single round towards her forehead before rolling and activating my radio. Watching as the impact violently rocked her head back, I call for help.

"THIS IS NIGHTHAWK OF INFERNO SQUAD SPEAKING! I AM REQUESTING IMMEDIATE EXTRACTION AND REINFORCEMENTS, COMBAT HAS BEEN ENGAGED. I REPEAT, COMBAT HAS BEEN ENGAGED. DISRUPTION CLASS: UNKNOWN, RISK CLASS: CRITICAL! BROADCASTING LOCATION NOW!"

With my location being tracked by every member of Nimbus Division, all I have left to do is survive long enough...

Putting the wall run kit into use, I use my upward momentum to get my hands to fall, giving the opportunity to swap for the Magpul PDR-C submachine gun before crunching the ground with a hard landing and aiming down to let out an accurate burst of three bullets per second only to little or no effect.

"Even high-caliber rounds don't seem to do much other than sting them. We really need to upgrade to that plasma weaponry. That is if we can reach it." I found myself uttering. Remembering the story of a previous Division who existed before us but were all whipped out. Nobody even knows what happened to them, nobody probably ever will.

Another message appeared.

HUD: REINFORCEMENTS IN 15 SECONDS. STAND BY.

Accompanied by an audio message from Josh.

"Estimated time of arrival is five seconds, engaging 30mm cannon."

Looking back, the two are still close on my trail with the intent of not letting me escape. Reaching to the side, my hand grips a fragmentation grenade. With one finger, I pull the pin as the countdown slowly goes down... 

Making a 180-degree turn while dashing forwards, I throw the grenade at two seconds making it detonate right between them, knocking both angeloids to the ground. As the green haired twin pushes herself off, she makes the mistake of facing the side of her head towards me, exposing her temple.

I waste no time swapping for my Desert Eagle and using the targeting systems for a lined shot, the bullet flies out of the barrel at fast speed, delivering a critical blow as it makes contact. Though the bullet did not penetrate, it probably did more internal damage. I watched, as if she was losing consciousness, fell back down, eyes closed.

From the sky, two Phoenix Gunships descend with their occupants disembarking. Ronin and Echo squad then joined me in subduing the last remaining hostile.

Gunfire crackled everywhere as we began to encircle and shoot from all sides. Gunships hovered nearby with rotation 30mm cannons ready to fire. Without a warning, the unconscious angeloid suddenly jolted up and grabbed her yellow-haired counterpart before flying at high speeds into the night sky. Our gunships gave chase with their 30mm cannons sending tracers after them.

"Cut the chase, all pilots return." said Commander, he then turned to me. "You're gonna have to tell us everything you saw. This situation is too dangerous to be classified, if Tomo has Ikaros staying with him, that means he's in danger. Whoever sent those two seem to have an interest in keeping secrets."

I grinned while putting my guns away.

"Then we will pry those secrets from whoever has them."

__________

Somewhere in an undiscovered place.

A man sat in his massive marble palace with a disappointed look on his face as he balls his fist in anger. Two angeloids knelt in front of him with clear marks of battle injury on them.

"We're sorry for our failure, Master." One of them said.

"FAILURES!" He said harshly while stomping his foot.

He then made a sinister smile, "Bring the Electronic Warfare angeloid here. I have a mission for her."