Chapter 6: Tai

En başından başla

They finally arrived to the River of Patience, Kion quickly scanned the area. Memories of how he started the first step of his healing journey here at the river came flooding back to him.

"Ono, see if you can try to find something that could lead us to Anga," Kion said. 

"Affirmative," Ono agreed. 

He flew upward, but not as high as he used to. In the past, Ono could spot things from up high, but now he couldn't, for the Tree of Life limited its healing powers on Ono and couldn't seem to return his sight to its former strength. But it didn't matter anymore, Ono learned to adapt to his new sight and he was perfectly happy with his new role as the Lion Guard's Smartest. The egret looked around, his eyes flashed gold as he tried to get a better look at his surroundings, though with his limited sight, he couldn't see much. Then something caught his eye. Ono flew downward to get a better look and he gasped.

"Kion! I see Anga's feathers!" he squawked. Ono gently picked up the pretty violet feathers and flew back to his friends. He placed the feathers down with care, sure enough they were Anga's. 

"Where do you think she went?" Beshte asked.

"Only one way to find out," Kion replied. He nodded to Fuli. Fuli leaned towards the feathers and sniffed them. She then turned around and sniffed the air. Kion did the same and the two felines sniffed around, hoping to catch Anga's scent. Suddenly, Fuli's ears twitched and she perked up. She tasted the air again and her eyes widened. 

"I think I found Anga," she said. Everyone turned around.

"Where?" Ono asked.

"This way!" Fuli pointed towards the direction where she picked up Anga's scent. Fuli sniffed again and nodded her head. "Yes, she definitely went this way." 

"Let's go, then," Kion said. "Lead the way."

Fuli nodded and dashed off, everyone followed her. The cheetah followed Anga's scent, it grew stronger and stronger the longer she followed it. Then, the trail ended. Fuli looked around and tasted the air again, but she couldn't detect anything.

"Well?" Ono asked.

"That's it," Fuli said. 

"What? That can't be!" Ono cried. He shook his ruffled feathers and began to nervously pace back and forth.

"Um, what are you guys doing here?" a voice asked. Everyone turned around and saw Anga standing right there a few tail lengths away.

"Anga!" Ono squawked happily. He then caught himself and cleared his throat. "I mean... Hi."

"Where were you?" Kion asked. 

"I was-" Anga began, shrugging casually, then someone emerged from the bushes behind Anga. Fuli realized that it was another martial eagle.

"Anga? What's going on?" he asked.

"Who's he?" Bunga asked.

"This is Tai," Anga explained. She gazed at them fondly, Fuli noticed Ono growing uncomfortable. "We hung out last night..."

"So, you must be King Kion and his friends Fuli, Bunga, Beshte, and Ono," Tai commented in a smooth voice. "Anga told me about you, it's nice to finally meet you."

Kion, Fuli, and Bunga eyed him curiously, Beshte looked friendly, Ono looked upset, hurt even.

"They're really nice and charming," Anga said, she wore a moony smile. They gazed at her affectionately. Bunga chuckled a little, only to be silenced with a look from Anga.

"I'm guessing you're Bunga," Tai  then said.

"Yeah, that's me!" Bunga exclaimed. "How'd you know?"

"Anga described you as immature and smelly," he explained casually.

"Why, thank you- wait what!?" Bunga cried. Fuli stifled a chuckle while Kion and Beshte gazed at the honey badger, amused.

"Kion, I was wondering if I could take Tai to see you and Rani?" Anga asked. "He's thinking about moving in here, if that's okay."

"Sure," Kion agreed. "We'll take him to see Rani now."

"Thank you, Your Majesty," they said, bowing.

Kion nodded at him, he turned back to the Guard. "Come on, let's go." 

The red maned lion turned around and began to make his way back to the Tree of Life. Fuli, Beshte, Bunga, Ono, Anga, and Tai followed. Fuli noticed that Anga and Tai were flying close to each other, Ono on the other paw was lagging behind. The egret didn't fly like the eagles, instead, he walked slowly behind everyone. He gazed at the ground with sad, downcast eyes, not once did he look at his friends or Anga. Fuli gazed at Ono with a sympathetic look. Ono had feelings for Anga, she remembered. Seeing his crush with someone else must've broke his heart greatly...

Fuli turned around and went beside Ono.

"How are you holding up?" she whispered.

"Oh, it's fine. I'll get over it," Ono mumbled. 

"I'm sorry," Fuli said sympathetically.

"Ah, no, I waited too long, anyway, it's not your fault..." the cattle egret scoffed wryly.

He then sighed heavily and blinked back a tear, "I wanna peck their eyes out, now..."

Fuli gently placed her tail on Ono's shoulder, "Hey, things will work out for you eventually, you'll find someone one day."

"I know..." Ono sighed reluctantly. "I guess the only thing I can do now is be... happy for Anga..."

"You'll be fine," Fuli said. "I know you loved her, but sometimes, things don't always go like how you want it... You'll find another girl one day, and hopefully, she's the right one for you."

"Yeah, you're right. It'll take some time, but I'll find someone. One day..." Ono agreed. Fuli nodded slowly and the egret looked up at the cheetah. "Fuli, thanks for keeping my secret."

"No problem," Fuli replied. "And don't you worry, I won't tell anyone."

Yup, Tai's non-binary.

And ah, I'm torturing Ono so much... Poor guy! >:3