ℭ𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 22

Start from the beginning

Hours went by like years. According to what Agnesia told me, the brigands are eyes of the forest. You don't find them, they find you. We stopped at a stream for our horses to drink water and for us to fill our stomachs. The men dismounted, including I and started to eat. The men gathered around and start talking amongst themselves.

Suddenly, I heard rustling leaves and a snap of a branch.

"Shh!" I told my men. They did so, got up and unsheathed their swords.

Men came out from the foliage. They were dressed in all black. These must be the brigands that Agnesia was talking about.

"No need for that. My lord has been expecting you," one said in a slow tone.

Francesco looked at me, as if asking if we can trust him. I held out my hand and placed it on his sword. He slowly lowered his sword and so did the rest.

"Dai (Come on), we mustn't keep Him waiting." We mounted our horses once again and followed them deeper into the forest.

We made it to their hideout. Men and women were watching us as we entered. They surrounded us, watching us intensely. We stopped until we couldn't go further. The man went into a tent and came out with another.

"Your Majesty, I have been expecting you. Welcome!" The man said while extending his arms outward. I guess he is their leader. I stare at him with an intense gaze.

"Yes I heard. Now please give me my servant." I said in an acerbic tone. I was not going to waste my time with this person.

"Well first give me the money that I told the other when I let her go. Hopefully she relayed that to you." I threw the bag in front of him. He snapped his finger and pointed at it. The man that led us here quickly ran and grabbed it. He handed it to him, who opened it with greedy eyes.

"Very well. You may have your maidservant. But I will say I will miss her womanly presence." He smirked. I took everything I had not to dismount and kill him where he stood.

Two men came out, holding Ann's biceps. She looked even worse than Agnesia when she arrived. My heart sank at the sight.

Annalise/Ann's Pov

I am sitting in the corner of the cell, my knees tucked under my chin to keep warm. The temperature dropped last night. I tried to keep myself warm. Suddenly, I hear the door of the prison open and two men entered my view. They stop in front of my cell and unlock it.

"You are free to go," they forcefully grab my biceps and lead me out of the prison. Once we leave, my eyes squint at the light. It takes me a minute to adjust. When my eyes finally adjust I see crowds of people and Luca with his men. Agnesia made it! I tried not to make my smile evident on my face. We stop next to the leader. He gives the men a look to let go of my arms. When I am free I take a step forward, but then I feel an arm around me and a hand covers my mouth. I claw at it to pry it off.

I see Luca's worried expression which quickly changes to an unbothered look

"Tell me, Your Majesty. What is so precious about this servant that you want to rescue after you told my men instructions to take your servant girls?" The leader asks. Luca furrows his brows.

"What? I never did such a thing!" Luca responds.

"Oh but someone from your kingdom did," I try to scratch at his hand and scream but to no avail my screams were muffled.

"Quiet!" He yells in my ear.

The leader snaps his head toward a man. "You said someone of royal blood came and ordered you to take two servant girls, correct?"

The man responds, "Yes sir! Knights and a la-" before the man could finish an arrow impaled his chest. Heads turned toward the man who did it. A knight of the Hungarian Kingdom.

"You idiot! Why did you do that?!" Luca sneered at the knight.

Chaos started at that moment. I am violently thrown to the ground by the leader who started fighting with our knights. Brigands started to get weapons and the women were gathering the children. Luca noticed I was free and called out my name. I scrambled to my feet and ran over to him and I was hoisted up onto his horse. He tugged at the reins and galloped away. His men stayed behind to fight. His priority was to get me to safety.

𝔈𝔫𝔡 𝔬𝔣 𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 22

𝒩𝑜𝓉𝑒: Why did that knight kill the brigand? Would love to hear your thoughts! Don't forget to comment/vote. I would really appreciate it! Love you! See ya next time! :)