s e v e n t e e n

Start from the beginning

"It's fine." Jeongguk replied just as quick, pink dusting over his cheeks. "And for the record, wearing black doesn't make me immune to paint."

A few minutes later, Jeongguk found himself walking alongside Taehyung and Marcus. "His parents are always late to pick him up, so I babysit him for a while." The brunette had explained.

Jeongguk happily tagged along, not having anywhere else to go but to follow the brunette around. He'd unconsciously named him his safe place. That was, until he realized where they were headed. "Isn't this the way to the beach?" He asked, his voice wavering slightly.

"Yup."

The ravenette stopped in his tracks, a sudden wave of nausea ripping through his stomach.

Taehyung took notice of the lack of footsteps behind him and looked back with obvious concern. "Jeongguk?"

"I think I'll sit this one out." The ravenette said meekly.

"Hey wait." Taehyung's eyebrows were drawn together, hand still holding onto Marcus' tiny fingers. "What's wrong? Tell me."

"I just don't do well with beaches, that's all." Jeongguk felt the tips of his ears heat up, seeing that he stood so abruptly in the middle of the dirt path. "Especially oceans." A chill ran down his spice, goosebumps rising on his arms.

Marcus, ever so impatient, yanked at Taehyung's hand. "Can we go now?"

The brunette gave Jeongguk the most apologetic look he could muster. "I don't want to leave you."

"It's okay. I'll find people." An obvious lie. Jeongguk had spent the last few days revolving around Taehyung and only Taehyung.

"You really don't want to come along?"

"Tae, I really can't."

"Okay." The brunette said quietly, sounding a tad disappointed.

Marcus, however, didn't. "Can we go, Tete?"

"Give Jeongguk a hug for me and we'll go."

The toddler was quick to scramble and throw his bony arms around the ravenette, who had crouched to his height. "Bye bye." He squealed before rejoining Taehyung.

"I'll see you at lunch then." The brunette said.

"Yeah definitely."

Jeongguk watched as Taehyung lifted Marcus up and walked away, casting glances over at the ravenette. Jeongguk felt the need to wave, assuring him that he was okay. His shoulders sagged when he was finally left alone, fingers tangled around the string of his necklace.

However the peacefulness was disturbed soon after, the ravenette wincing when a hand clasped around his arm rather aggressively.

"Found you."

Jeongguk didn't have the energy to deal with him anymore, turning away so he wouldn't have to meet Carter's eyes.

"You liked that dining hall prank I pulled on you?" He sneered, mouth hovering near the ravenette's ear. "Seem familiar to you?"

His grip tightened and Jeongguk could feel Taehyung's name at the tip of his tongue. He could've shouted for help, but no sound was produced through parted lips. Maybe because deep down, he knew he deserved this.

"That's how it feels, Jeon." More words to eat away at his soul.

"Stop." Barely above a whisper.

"Look who's begging now." Carter's other hand went to grip at Jeongguk's jaw. "Let's make a deal. Hm? Stay away from Jimin and I'd gladly leave you alone."

Jeongguk's eyes shifted around, confused. Jimin?

"Fuck off" came a voice.

A sigh of relief escaped the ravenette as Madeline manhandled Carter off him. He had no idea where she came from.

"What is your deal? Seriously." Yoongi snarled, "Pick on someone your own size."

"I wasn't doing anything." Carter raised his hands up defensively.

"You smell that?" Madeline said, head tilted up to sniff at the air.

"What?"

"Bullshit."

He scoffed then jabbed a threatening finger at Jeongguk. "I meant what I said."

"Jeongguk let's go." Madeline said irritably, fisting his sweatshirt and pulling him away. "Christ, do you need a babysitter?"

"Hm?" The timid ravenette responded, unsure if her words were meant to sound mean.

"That's the guy who knocked you over in the dining hall, yeah? Why didn't you fight back?"

Yoongi looked at Jeongguk. "Forgive her. She acts like this when she's pissed off."

Why didn't he fight back? Why would he fight back? He was the cause of it, after all.

Jeongguk let his feet wander behind Yoongi and Madeline. It was a pattern he wasn't willing to admit. I guess that's what happens to those who have lost their sense of direction. Just follow whoever's in front of you until your feet gives out and you're nothing more than a mere shadow in their path.

"Stick with us from now on." Yoongi instructed as Madeline gave Carter the middle finger. "We're heading to the common room. Come with?"

And that's how Jeongguk found his 'Emperor's guard' for the rest of the day.

__________

listen— a little cliche i fell on top of my love interest scene never hurt anyone hehe

also
hi beef. i know you're reading this.
did i mention that you're one of the main reasons i started writing bts fanfics?
i love you. no like, i seriously love you and i can't wait to see you again.
this chapter's for you cause we're both impatient little bitches

- hay