Ache

Rin looked over at Haru as they both continued to sing the second chorus.

How does he know how to sing harmony?

Haru quickly looked up at Rin- he could feel his eyes on him. Rin gave him an encouraging nod and grinned as he continued to sing.

He likes it.

Haru let out a sigh of relief after they finished the chorus. It had felt like time slowed down for them as they both adjusted to this unexpected yet thrilling experience of singing together.

Rin continued on with the song and they approached the third and final time to sing the chorus. He motioned for Haru to come closer and sing into the mic with him.

Haru blushed slightly as he accepted his friend's invitation to join him, albeit not as close as he needed to be heard at an optimal level. He just wasn't sure how to handle being so close to Rin while singing- it seemed the intimacy of the moment would distract his playing. He wanted to finish the song with a solid ending and wasn't about to mess with the progress made so far.

They finished their vocals and played the final part of the song.

After finishing Rin looked at Haru as his eyes widened with wonder and surprise. Haru continued staring at his bass, hesitant to look up at his friend.

Rin gave Haru a playful shove in the shoulder. "Haru! What the heck was that?" Haru quickly looked up at Rin. His expressionless face was overcome with worry as he considered a dreadful fact. Maybe I was imagining things...maybe I didn't sound as good as I thought.

"I'm sorry...I wanted to try-"
"That was...AWESOME!" Rin's face beamed with joy. "Haru, how..." he shook his head. He was both ecstatic and confused at the same time. "I didn't know you could sing, let alone harmonize!"

Slightly embarrassed from the praise, Haru lowered his gaze, looking at Rin's guitar. "Well...I already knew how to sing on tune." He nervously shifted his gaze down at Rin's shoes, oblivious to the continuing study of objects on his friend's body. "I had heard more than one voice in the song, so I thought I'd try to learn the harmony."

Rin bent his knees a little and tilted his head to the side as he tried to see Haru's eyes, which were half covered by his silky black hair. Eventually his gaze slowly moved up to meet Rin.

Rin stood up straight in response to Haru finally looking at him. Those bashful eyes of the deep blue sea...

He did a quick yet nervous glance to the side as he deeply in/exhaled. "I really like your voice," his eyes met Haru's once again. "I'm just shocked you practiced enough to play the song AND learned to sing harmony. I mean...wow!"

There was a short pause before Haru spoke. His eyes shifted to a point in the distance. "I guess I really wanted to sing with you, and I knew this was the only way."

"Oh man...Haru," Rin put his hand on top of his maroon head of hair and moved it down the side of his face, cupping his chin in the palm of his hand. "I'm a just little speechless..."

After a brief silence, Rin looked into Haru's eyes, piercing him straight on. He put his hand at chest level and shook his pointer finger side to side. "This will not be the last time you sing."

With a wave of determination Haru's stare pierced right back at Rin.

"Ok."