-33-

Mel's POV

Beth and I walked out of the cabin together and I took a deep breath. This constant questioning was annoying...

"Why did you defend me?" I asked her uncertainly and she smiled at me.

"Because I can understand you. It can be quite annoying when everyone gets to know so much about your relationship."

"This probably won't get any better, will it...?"

Beth shook her head slightly.

"You know how the girls are..."

"Yes," I murmured, and Beth looked at me encouragingly.

"Just try to ignore them. The important thing is that you and Jill are comfortable," she advised me.

"Thank you..."

I nodded slightly. Finally, Beth was right.

"May I ask you something?" Beth asked after a while and I nodded.

"What is it?"

"Well... why don't you do that more often at practice? You can do it..."

"What do you mean...?", I asked, although I could already guess what she was getting at. My restraint...

"Your run, the nutmeg, your goal," she counted and I shrugged my shoulders.

"I was lucky. Caitlin's header was well played and I had a clear path," I explained and Beth looked at me.

"Okay. Then just the nutmeg and the goal. Jill is not so easy to nutmeg."

"I just tried..."

"But why don't you try it more often?" she asked and I looked at my hands.

"It doesn't always work," I murmured and Beth gently put her hand on my forearm.

"Are you afraid?", she asked cautiously and I tensed up immediately. Then I shook my head.

"No. Why?"

"Because it seems so. You don't play as well as you could, but you won't say why."

"Maybe I just don't play as well as you think I can?!" I returned and she took her hand off my arm. Then she smiled slightly.

"Being bitchy only makes it...well...more obvious! So...why are you doing this?", she asked and I sighed softly.

"You're right...I'm scared...," I admitted softly and Beth looked at me gently.

"Of what?"

I looked at my hands and shook my head slightly. I didn't want to talk about it. I don't want to talk about the past...

"Mel...", Beth started gently and at the same moment I saw Jill and Lia coming towards us. I immediately turned away from them and drove over my watery eyes.

"Oh...hey, Beth. What are you doing here?", my girlfriend asked and I briefly felt her look on me.

"The others were pestering Mel with questions. I got her out of there," she explained and I suddenly felt all eyes on me. But I didn't want to be the center of attention like that. Not now.

That's why I stood up. "I have to go to the restroom. I'm right back".

There I looked in the mirror and sighed softly. I could pretend to Beth and Lia that everything was fine, but not Jill. My eyes were too glassy for that...

I washed my face and put on a smile. Then I went back outside and was surprised to see that only my girlfriend was left.