Chapter 19: Words of Encouragement

Start from the beginning

We dance for a couple hours. My mood doesn't really improve, but I'm trying for Finn. I still don't understand why he believes in me so much. Everyone else sure doesn't.

"Okay so the choreography's done. You good with that?"

"Yeah." I tell him. Inwardly, I'm definitely thinking no, but I don't want to worry him anymore.

"Okay great. Do you want some time to run it over yourself? I'll go get us some lunch if that's okay with you." He asks, concerned look on his face.

I jump at the chance to have some alone time. Finn's great, but right now I just really want to wallow in misery by myself. I agree, and he leaves. I run over my choreography, but my heart just isn't into it.

Finn:

I don't really want to leave Ozzy alone, but I have a plan. I know that the dance community's huge on social media, so I'm hoping to get #OzzyResurrected trending. I know that everyone's got decently popular social media accounts, and I can definitely contact James too. He's got huge influence since winning internationals.

I rush to go find the team, and on the way, I bump into Richelle.

Richelle:

Noah and I have spent all morning rehearsing our solos and sorting out costuming, backdrops, and music. Finally, they let us go for lunch, and I rush to go find Ozzy. Noah smiles at me knowingly, but I try to ignore him. What I'm doing is none of his business.

I bump into Finn in one of the corridors.

"Hey Finn. Have you seen Ozzy?"

"Yeah, he's in there." He points to the rehearsal room at the end.

"Thanks. Is he doing alright?" I ask, concerned.

"Not really. But I'm trying to cheer him up. Maybe you'll do better than me. Now if you'll excuse me, I have a surprise to plan." And he rushes off.

Normally, I'd question him, but I'm too distracted. I rush into the room, and I see Ozzy in the middle of the room. He's doing a turn sequence, but he falls out of it, defeated. He's not being the goofy guy I love.

"Hey. You okay?" I ask.

Ozzy:

I'm trying, and failing the turn sequence. This just isn't going to work.

I hear footsteps, and turn around. It's Richelle.

"You okay?" She asks.

I can't hide anything from Riri. She's always been able to read me; read everyone like a book. She might not be openly emotional, but she's emotionally smart. Especially when it comes to the people she's close with.

"They don't believe in me. They all think I'm going to fail. And I'm going to prove them right." I tell her.

She sighs, and sits next to me.

"They all believe in you, you know. But if you really don't think that. I believe in you. And you know I never lie."

It's true. Riri would never lie. Her blind faith is nice, but I'm still not going to win. And she probably knows that deep down.

"They're doing hip hop. And I'm stuck with musical theatre-" She cuts me off

"And you're perfect for that. Your personality is perfect for musical theatre. And you know it. You can do it."

She gives me one of the famous Riri hugs. She's only given one to me once during regionals, and it's honestly the most comforting thing in the world. I pull her closer, and play with her hair a bit. It's helping calm me down. Maybe I can do this.