Chapter 19: Rochester The Bar

KAYS POV

I woke up at about 10 the next morning and immediately got up to take a shower, get dressed and get packed. Candy assured me she would pop over and keep an eye on Valerie for me. And Valerie promised me she would be on her best behavior while I was gone. After Romeo bought her home, I was somewhat starting to trust him around her more. I appreciated what he'd done for her more than I planned on expressing to him.

Despite being packed and ready to go by mid afternoon, Vert and I didn't leave home for the hotel until late in the evening. We just wanted to make sure Romeo and Valerie had everything they needed for the weekend before we left, as if Romeo wasn't perfectly capable of going to a grocery store if need be. I think we both were really just nervous and unsure about this whole thing. The entire car ride was pretty quiet which was to be expected as we hadn't finished our talk yet. I assumed Vert was waiting until we got settled in at the hotel to bring it up. We reached our destination and got checked in with no problem.

The room was beautiful; the definition of luxury. Candy sure knew how to book a getaway. Vert and I walked in slowly taking in everything in sight. We placed our bags on the floor and just stood there in silence. It was something about being alone together in a room with a bed that made us both tense up. "That is one bed." I pointed out awkwardly as I stared at the white king. I said it out loud before I could catch myself. No shit Sherlock.

"Yup." Vert said dryly. We both paused in silence again before he broke it. "So....you wanna go get drunk?" he asked.

"Yeah sure," I responded happily. Maybe a drink or two would loosen us both up.

"Oh wait actually, let me call Valerie real quick to let her know we got here ok. I'll meet you down at the bar in a few."

"Yeah ok," he gave a shrug before walking out of the room.

I pulled out my phone and dialed Val. She picked up on the second ring.

"Hello?" she said cheerfully.

"Hey Love bug, just wanted to check in and make sure you're ok. We made it to the hotel." I responded.

"Oh ok. Everything is fine here." She said.

"Are you sure? You don't need me to come back?"

She paused in confusion for a few seconds. "You just left 30 minutes ago. We are fine. There is nothing to worry about. Go and enjoy your weekend. Romeo and Candy will take care of me."

"Are you SURE?" I asked again, pleading with her to tell me to come home.

"Kay....are you scared?" Valerie asked sounding suspicious of my behavior.

"Very much so, yes." I admitted.

"You haven't talked to him yet have you?"

"No!" I was completely freaking out. The longer it took for Vert and I to talk the more anxious I felt to do so. Now I was nearly ready to avoid him altogether. I already knew he wasn't interested, so why even put myself through hearing the confirmation?

"Just talk to him Kay. Everything is gonna be ok. You guys are supposed to be having fun." I didn't respond as or conversation grew silent. There was really nothing I could say to that. We were supposed to be having fun but somehow I just knew our talk would ruin every chance of that. "I know you're freaking out so let's take a second to think about this logically. Ok?" She says.

"O...k." I say in confusion, unsure of where she was going with this.

"If Vert was going to reject you, would he really agree to spend the entire weekend alone in a hotel room with you?"