Chapter 5

Despite what he had said Negan stood up eagerly when the food tray was brought to him only to feel deflated to see Gab come down the steps. Thankfully the priest didn't stay long merely exchanged a pleasant good night before leaving to go home to Rosita.

Negan sneered at the food. It was repetitive and boring and honestly, he had stopped feeling hungry a long time ago. However, food was food and it was important he eat and keep his strength up. You never knew what life would throw at you. He spent some time by the window listening to people talk. Someone had knocked up someone else's old lady and there was a lot of tension going on.

Someone else made plans to steal an extra ration of food and he shook his head with a smile pressing his thumb briefly against his forehead. Some of these people had no idea how good they had it.

"Is the gossip interesting?"

Negan tipped his head back, eyes closed still grinning.

"I was kinda hopin' you'd come back." He looked at her and stretched showcasing the goods. What the hell he had it and he knew it. A lot of women had fallen for him. He watched pleased as her eyes went up and down his body. If he hoped to see admiration or lust or even any kind of interest he was disappointed.

Her face gave away nothing.

That was ok, he loved a challenge.

"I brought you another book,'' she said setting it down."

"Thanks, Gabriel's talking about giving me my own little bookcase. Guess I got you to thank for that huh?"

"It's possible." She hesitated then made for the stairs.

Negan sighed loudly " Just drop the book and run? Really? You don't strike me as a coward."

He put his hands behind his back pleased when she came up to the bars. She didn't look annoyed but those eyes. Oh, those baby blues were pissed. Damn, he was good.

"You don't scare me." Theresa looked around " I feel sorry for you but according to the people who live here you deserve to be rotting in this cell."

He shrugged leaning up against the bars resting his chin on his arm watching her "Maybe I do. Maybe I don't. Maybe I went too far, but I had more people then these communities put together and they lived. They weren't starving, They had water. they had shelter they fought for each other. It's a whole new world out there, honey. Who's to say who's doing it wrong and whose doing it right?"

"And your three wives?" She asked lips curled in amusement "Don't tell me...they all begged to marry you and you couldn't make up your mind."

"Hey, people have to pay. They have to be productive somehow or they become a burden. No, maybe they didn't want to but I gave them the choice. I didn't force them. They chose to pay that way." He shrugged " I just know I kept a lot of people alive and I kept track of The Kingdom, Alexandria, and Hillside trying to make sure they still had food. People without food can't produce."

"I see."

"Don't believe me?"

"No that's just it, I do. What happens to you isn't up to me though."

"And you care?" He laughed softly as she looked chagrined but her voice was calm.

"Maybe I do. Maybe I don't."

She sat in front of his cell. Almost perfect height he mused chuckling to himself while he looked down at the top of her head. She looked up and he wondered if she had the same thought he did.

"You know...while you're down there..." He murmured.

"Read to me."

He blinked then sat down in front of her. "Tell me why? Can't you read?"

"I read fine. My father used to read out loud to me after my mother died. It was the best time of the night. His voice was deep, soothing like yours."

Inwardly Negan winced. Her father? He made her think of her father? Shit that wasn't what he'd been aiming for.

"Well, I hope I don't look like your father." He stretched out and got the book. She placed her hand firmly over his until he looked at her.

"No. You don't. Before all this because of that, I listened to a lot of audiobooks. I loved listening to audiobooks. Your voice is...is vibrant. It's sexy. I think you would have been a wonderful voice actor."

She let go of his hand and arranged herself so she was leaning against the wall.

Alright, that was more like it. He could work with that. Vibrant and sexy. Much better. He glanced at the book. Hemingway. Excellent choice.

"This is how you can pay me back for the books. Be productive." She said softly. She ran her hand through her hair knocking it loose from its tight bun and sending it cascading down her shoulders. It was that kind of blonde called champagne, Lucille had loved dying her hair that color, and Theresa's hair looked natural. The meager light picked up the gorgeous healthy shine.

He had to clear his throat so he wouldn't sound hoarse. "My kinda girl...you know if you ever have the hankering..."

"Just read Negan. Don't make stupid remarks just...just serenade me with your voice. Right now that's the best thing you could do for me."

"Alright..." He scooted up against the wall so the only thing separating them was thin space filled by the bars. She was so close he could smell her. A clean lemony smell. It occurred to him he probably didn't smell as good and...she was looking at him brows arched in question. He chuckled and tipped the book to better see it.

"Alright...Here it goes...There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter..."

An hour later but before the usual guard could come down and douse the lights in the room she thanked him. For a moment they just sat on the floor looking into each other's eyes trying to read if there was something there while keeping their thoughts to themselves.

"Good night Negan. Thank you." She got up, brushed herself off and left.

For a moment he just sat on the floor thinking. Then he got up and wandered to the window. To his surprise, she was standing in the courtyard looking slowly around her hands behind her back as if she were admiring the town. Then she walked over to a bench and pulled out a small ratty-looking bag that had been hidden under it.

She pulled out a long sharp knife and pulled out that spear she favored before looking around some more. She headed towards the wall. He didn't need to be a genius to know she was about to sneak off someplace.

"Where the Hell is she going?" He watched until she was out of sight. This wasn't good at all. "Shit!" He hissed slapping the bars angrily.