𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐨𝐧𝐞. ℎ𝑎𝑧𝑒𝑙'𝑠 𝑓𝑟𝑒𝑠ℎ 𝑠𝑡𝑎𝑟𝑡

Start from the beginning

"Oh. Shit. Sorry. Old habits," Hazel apologized as he shoved his gun into the back of the waistline of his pants. "Well, I can understand why you might feel that way, you know . . ."

Five took another sip before casually pointing out, "Well, you attacked our house, tried to kill my family, and kidnapped my brother."

"Well, there's not much I can do about the past. I'm not the only killer in this room," Hazel pointed out with a chuckle as he nodded toward Five. "You got your own bloody history, pal. Speaking of which, that job you did in Calhoun, that shit's legendary."

Valerie turned towards Five, using her spoon to scoop some peanut butter out of the jar as she narrowed her eyes. "What did you do in Calhoun?"

"Nothing, don't worry about it." He gave her one of his sweet smiles that told her that the truth was to be worried about, though she didn't persist. 

Hazel had a small grin on his face as he mumbled, "Can't believe I'm actually sittin' here talkin' to you, after all . . ."

"Hazel," Five interrupted, his eyebrows raised as he leaned back against the countertop, "why are you here?" 

A small smile came onto Hazel's face as he gave a modest shrug and started, "Well, I'm, you know—"

Hazel was cut off when Diego kicked him from the back, forcing him to fall over to the ground with a small grunt.

"Diego, stop!" Valerie shouted, about to get up from her seat before Five put a hand on her knee and shook his head.

Diego did a flip over Hazel's body before he roared, "Get up!"

Hazel got onto all fours, about to get up when Diego kicked his face upwards, then to the right.

"You know, before you kill him, you might wanna hear what he has to say," Five said blandly as the two watched Diego repeatedly punch Hazel.

Just before Diego could hit him again, Hazel headbutted him in the stomach and got up. Diego jumped up from the ground and drew his favourite knife from his pocket.

"I'm gonna kill you for what you did to Patch," he growled, his grip only tightening on the handle of his knife.

"Or don't," Five sighed in defeat as he sipped his drink. He sat back in his seat, his eyes following every punch and kick as he continued, "See how that goes."

Valerie groaned as they continued to fight, putting her snack onto the counter as she shook her head. "Five, I think that—fuck!"

Her eyes widened as she watched Diego grip Hazel's left arm, lifting it high and exposing the whole side of his body as Diego prepared his knife to swing.

Before he could bring the knife anywhere near Hazel's body, Valerie sped in between them and grabbed the knife. Rolling her eyes at his idiotic behaviour, Valerie punched Diego square in the face, knocking him to the ground, unconscious.

She resumed at normal speed as she tucked his knife into the pocket of her blazer and let out a long exhale.

"How I deal with you dumb boys, I have no idea," she mumbled as she walked back to her seat. She looked back towards Hazel as she sat down, him staring down at Diego, and advised, "Hazel, whatever you came here to say, you should probably say it quick."

Hazel nodded and readjusted himself before stating, "I left my partner, quit the Commission, came to volunteer."

Five's eyebrows furrowed in confusion as he shook his head and asked, "For what?"

"To help stop the apocalypse," Hazel answered as he straightened up and rolled his shoulders back.

"Hm," Five chuckled as he took another sip of his neon margarita.