Noticing my intense stare, Ashley laughed. "Stop looking or you'll bore holes through her. I'm sure she's already undergone enough of that with the number of flop-ass surgeries I've heard she's done."

I snorted. "You're kidding me."

"Wish I was," She sang. "Rumor has it her father is a top class surgeon. A plastic surgeon."

My eyes examined her face that appeared more flawless than the last time I remembered.

"And daddy's little princess gets to play the role of her favourite kid's show character." She stated, feeling completely in her element, the words flowing from her mouth with ease.

"That being?"

"Mrs. Potato Head, of course." Ashley smiled tightly.

***

Stalking wasn't my thing. Middle school Della would've always had the misconception of being on top of her game and would have gathered all the equipment necessary to succeed in her plan. Her plan to follow in the footsteps of her target without being noticed.

But she always would be.

Luca's eyes caught the reflection of me in his car mirror and a smile crept onto his face.

I guess some things never change, I thought reminiscing how he'd call me out. The guilt would've already sunken in by then and I would lose it. I would confess to my sin and beg him to not think of me as weird. By then he was rolling on the floor and laughing his ass off.

I remember it vividly, and what he said after even more. 

"You're like having a wart that I want to remove but then I realize it's what defines me."

I think that's when I knew for sure I wanted to be a part of his life. And for as long as I could too.

It took some hard work and time on my part but I made him see the attractive sides of me. Despite others telling me that I was in over my head and that he'd never be smitten by a low class girl like myself I loved him anyway.

"I can explain." I said and I winced at the echo of my younger self in my mind.

Luca leaned his back against his car and folded his arms. Tilting his head at an angle, he kept his face void of any emotion. "Explain then."

"I wasn't stalking you alright?"

He hummed, obviously unconvinced.

"I wasn't okay!"

He held up his hands in mock surrender but said nothing. 

I ran a frustrated hand throughout my hair. "Why's that girl still around you?" I decided to get straight to the point.

His eyebrows drew together. "Who? Do you mean Paige?"

"Yes...her."

"She just transferred here and because I kind of already know her I decided it would be best for me to show her around the place."

"I guess chivalry isn't as dead as I thought it was."

"Oh come on," he laughed at my sarcasm. 

"No, you come on," I jeered. "Don't you find it a little strange that after you staged the role of her knight in shining rolex she makes an appearance into your everyday life?"

"Actually no. People have second encounters all the time, Della." 

My emotions were going to get the best of me, I realized, if I didn't get the hell away from him.

"Whatever." 

Row after row of neatly lined up books with their spines facing outward, colour coded with dots, sections arranged in alphabetical order, floor cushions, comfortable leather arm chairs and tables for quiet study. There was a certain muffled stillness and like always the librarian at her help desk. The hushed atmosphere was punctured by the occasional whispering from the side. I couldn't help myself anymore and looked up to see Brian Wilson.

His eyes were fluttering about the place, oblivious that someone was watching him. 

"Mom, I can't talk right now. I'll call you back okay?" At that moment where he hurriedly put an end to his call his frantic eyes met mine.

"Sorry," he squeaked.

I let out a defeated sigh. 

"It's fine," I shrugged, lying. It really wasn't. It had been almost fifteen minutes of him distracting me from my studies and sounding like a fly in my ears. All I wanted to do was squash him.

But he was Brian and he didn't mean any harm. He never did.

He threw himself into a chair next to me and laid his head on his arm. His expression told me of his struggles.

That and the fact that I unintentionally eavesdropped on his conversation.

"Still haven't found a tutor yet?"

He shook his head. "And my parents and Mr. James have been up my ass."

"Sorry to hear about that." I genuinely told him.

There was something about Brian that drew people to him. I guess it didn't hurt that he was a good looking boy; but it was more than that. He was quiet, but not out of painful shyness. It was a reservedness. Yet he wasn't stand-offish, she remained friendly faced and welcoming in body posture. It showed as he raised his head to smile at me.

"Thanks Della."

I let out a slightly unsure giggle. "Oh, I haven't done much to deserve that. I'm sorry I couldn't tutor you."

"You're a busy girl, I understand." He indicated to my stack of books.

"I am but still I'm sorry. You know, it isn't the end of the world. Getting bad grades is like a trail run. It's just to see how much endurance and persistence you have. In the end it's that persistence you should use in studying. Don't give up. I'm rooting for you."

His eyes seemed to penetrate all the way down to my soul. I wondered if I said something I shouldn't have.

I used my hair as a curtain to shield myself from him.

Our conversation ended like that. I didn't question why he continued sitting there. Maybe he had stuff to think about. 

He kept looking up at me, but I kept my eyes on my book. Finally, he got up. Then his voice spoke across the aisle, "Hey, Della. I'm having a party tomorrow night. Wanna come?"

I opened my mouth to deny but he proceeded to speak.

"Think about it."

My lips sealed as he turned on his heels and headed out the building.

I definitely said something I shouldn't have.

***

A/N: Thank you for reading. ♡