"Let's go hang out!" Bailee chirped as she entered the dispersing class.

Ashley shook her head at the girl's perky nature but found herself standing beside her.

"Sure. Where to?"

"I was thinking the restaurant down on-"

"Sorry guys. I have to say no to this one. My mom asked me to help her out with something."

"Is something wrong?" Ashley asked.

I recalled our short conversation this morning. "I don't think so,"

"See you on Monday okay?" I waved goodbye.

Bailee's mood seemed to have doubled with my departure but the other girl remained quiet.

"I know that I said that it would be the last time, Paula. But it really was! How am I going to know everything my husband's up to?...Hello?" I listened from the entrance as my mom sighed and put down the phone.

I cleared my throat.

"Oh, you're here."

"What did you want my help with?" I took a seat next to her.

"It's not exactly what you're thinking..." She started off. 

I raised my eyebrows at her.

There was a pregnant pause.

"I need you to loan me your college tuition money."

I sprung onto both feet, my mouth hanging open in disbelief.

"I know how this sounds honey! But just listen to me for a bit!"

I ran a hand over my face as my stomach did somersaults. "Continue."

"I wouldn't have stooped so low if I wasn't desperate. You're right," She admitted. "We do need money. The bills are upon us. I cannot keep going around the issue like this as if it never happened. The landlord is getting more insistent every day and no matter how many hours we both work it won't be able to pay him in time."

Her warm hands covered mine. "It's just for now. So that we won't get evicted. Mommy will work super hard to pay you back okay?"

Her eyes pleaded with mine and I felt my heart break. 

It did not pain me to a great extent that she wanted the money that ensured my future - that she was basically telling me to give up my dreams temporarily. No, I was more concerned about her. How her state was. She looked so distraught and hopeless that I just wanted to do anything to ease her worries.

I would do anything.

"Okay, mom." 

A relieved breath left her before she pulled me into a tight embrace. "I'm sorry."

"It's fine."

***

The problem became bigger. It got out of our control and we were left with only an eviction notice a few weeks later. 

I was so invested in trying to make ends meet that I had no time to greet Luca like I had intended to when he came back last week. We bumped into each other a few times in the hallways but even then I was rushing to another part-time job.

His frustration grew with my dismissive nature, however unintentional it was, so one day he yanked me into a dusty janitor's closet that happened to be unlocked and closed the door behind us.

"Why are you avoiding me?"

We were pressed up against each other so closely that I could feel his chest with every word he spoke. I could just imagine the thoughts someone would have if we were caught like this. Heat began to flood my cheeks.

"I-I'm not."

"You stuttered." He pointed out.

I wasn't lying just completely, undeniably flustered.

When he looked down at me, I saw that his features had hardened and he had suddenly become subdued. A shadow hung over his face as he said three words that touched my soul and changed my life irrevocably.

"I like you."

I bit down into my cheeks. He wasn't helping with my blushing at all.

He noticed and he raised a finger to brush over the color tenderly. "A lot. So don't ignore me."

I knew what he meant. 

I could see it in his eyes and the way his lips quivered to change the 'L-word' he used in place of another. Maybe he was scared I would run for the hills because it was far too soon despite it really not being. He was being conscious of my feelings and that put a smile on my face that had become a stranger.

"Me too, Luca. I like you alot."

"But you've been avoiding me ever since I came from the Philippines. I told you that it was my mother's fault." He pouted.

"Don't look so sad." I poked Luca's nose and held him close, brushing a strand of dark brown hair away from his face. He sniffed dejectedly and buried his face in my chest. 

But I felt a smile grace its way on his lips. 

It fell once I pulled away from him. Well as much as I could.

"But I'm busy."

"Busy doing what Della? I feel like you're living this other life that I know nothing about."

I sighed. 

I wanted to tell him. I really did. But what good would it do than to make him worry unnecessarily?

"It's just been a rough few weeks with work that's all."

He tucked a strand of hair behind my ear. "I don't mean to insult you in any way by saying this but...you could always take up my mother's offer."

"In tutoring you?"

"Don't look so disgusted," He pinched my cheeks. "I've thought about it and it doesn't sound like that bad of an idea. I mean, I'll get to see you more often than I do now and you won't have to push yourself so much."

"But you don't even need me to tutor you, Luca."

He was already so brilliant how in the world could I help him?

"I know."

I raised an eyebrow. "So..."

"But mother doesn't. At least not currently given my grades last term."

I agreed with him that the idea in this moment didn't seem as bad as it initially did but...

"I don't want your money, Luca." I said in the best way I could so he wouldn't get offended.

He wasn't.

"I thought you'd say something like that," He laughed. "But it's not my money Della. It's my parents'."

"That's the same thing-"

"No it's not. Last time I checked I don't have a job."

I shook my head at him in disbelief. This boy was something else.

I bit my lip down staring at him uncertain.

"Come on...you know you want to." Luca teased.

I opened my mouth. Then closed it causing him to frown.

I giggled at his cuteness. 

"Ah, to hell with it! I'll do it."

***

A/N: Don't forget to vote and comment lots! Thanks for reading <3