Part - 28

She looked around at the place. It was unrecognizable. Anjali had outdone herself for her brother's engagement. The entire place was decorated in lilies and roses! How she envied that young woman's creative talent.

Everywhere she looked, she saw smiling faces. Ratna seemed to be unable to control her smile – she looked like she had a bloody hanger in her mouth! She envied her sister with a vengeance.

She had taken everything from her – her family life, her happiness, even her husband! But her spirit was unbroken. She still was the centre of attention everywhere she went; as usual.

What caught her attention was Arnav. He was smiling. It was the most obvious thing to do given that it was his own engagement with the woman he fancied. But it bothered her that his smile reached his eyes.

His father's decision had always weighed him own. Even when he had emerged as one of the top businessmen in the previous years, his eyes had always been haunted. It had given her immense satisfaction whenever she saw his emotions go for a toss at any mention of her. It gave her what anyone would give a limb without batting an eyelid for.

Leverage.

He stood in the way of her and her adoptive mother's property. And she had always taken great pleasure in making him an emotional mess. It was not her fault that he loved his mother too much to be affected by her grief.

Something had changed but. She felt it that day when that chit of a woman had called her off. Today she saw her belief reinforced. Arnav seemed... calm.

He had smiled while accepting congratulatory wishes from her instead of loosing his marbles. That was a first. She would have to do something about this. There was no way she was going to let all her efforts of nearly twenty years go down the drain because of one girl, she resolved looking at Khushi.

She was grabbing another drink from the waiter nearby when she saw something unusual. Khushi was looking at something with... was it... fear?