5 | All Over Again

Start from the beginning

I swiped the call to an end before the string of curse words that threatened to be said came out. Thinking that was the end of it all I was in for a sour treat when a text message popped up.

Your report card was delivered to my house like old times. Come and get it.

- Brick head.

***

Never in a million years did I think I would find myself in front of the Meyers palace. Oh, I was not exaggerating there. Their house was located in the more residential part of the city where all who came from riches and glory lived.

I guessed the constant installation of words of being better than everybody else his mother gave was not empty.

Glancing done at my old beat up sneakers I felt regretful for not dressing more presentable.

No. That was unnecessary. It was not like we were involved with each other anymore. 

To save myself from the judgement of his family that I still had not properly met (the fact hitting close to home having had a year plus relationship) I texted him saying I'd wait by the tree outside.

He read my message but did not reply.

What an asshole.

Ten minutes later I spotted him jogging over. He stood in front of me, a towel slung around his neck. He was adorned by a joggers and plain tee. Sweat gleamed on his forehead, having trickled down from his messy brunette hair that had a halo of gold because of the artificial street light. The outline of his impressive chest could be seen for the liquid had soaked through the shirt's material a bit. He had been working out, I realized. There were small bandaids wrapped hastily around his fingers and a scratch on his arm.

"You're working out this late?" I asked without much thought.

His eyebrows raised at me. I cursed myself for the slight concern in my tone.

I cleared my throat. "Not that I care or anything..."

He tilted his head, studying me. I held my ground even though I wanted to squirm.

"Is there something that's bothering you, Della?" He pried. His face was haughty as if he already knew the answer to his question.

He knew I hated when he did that. 

"No."

He took a step closer. "Are you sure?"

I went back a step. "One hundred percent."

The corner of his lips twitched but he said nothing. Instead a white envelope was handed to me.

"I don't know how the school managed to have this happen- anyway this is yours."

I took it from him feeling anxious all of a sudden. Suppose I didn't do as well as I'd hoped? The main reason my report went to Luca instead of myself before was to shield me from the potential first-hand disappointment. God, if that was so it would really take a toll on my confidence as well as my straight A profile.

"Congrats on coming first by the way."

My head snapped up to look at his smiling face. 

"Are you serious?" I inquired breathlessly.

He nodded.

I squealed. 

From the sidelines, he took me in as I jumped up and down in joy.

"Thank god! For a second there I thought...I don't know what I thought."

"I could see the doubt written all over your face," he pointed.