Didn't they leave it behind to make his life easier if there were ever to be a tragic event, that sadly being their car crash? 

Then why was he being stubborn and not touching a cent of it?

Maybe the cent doesn't matter as it has sentimental value.

I smirked at my mind. I saw what you did there.

I nodded. 

He ran his hand through his hair then fixed me in a particular stare.

I did acknowledge his good looks from day one.

Delicate blonde hairs fell onto his brow, skin being an attractive tan. He was ideal, with a nice sculpted face and a fairly muscular body.

A bonus was his sunshine-like personality.

The potential to make a girl like me weak in her knees was there.

Too bad I wasn't interested.

"I have the job at the chicken joint to run to."

"Oh." He sounded dejected.

"What is it?" I queried.

He flushed. "Uh...nothing really. I was wondering if you wanted to catch a movie or something but since..."

I gave him an apologetic look. 

"I would love to take up the offer but I can't," I tried to make him feel better. "Hey! You can always take Jessica."

His reaction was not as enthusiastic as I'd hoped but there was a smile so that counted right?

"I'll see about that."

I waved goodbye after saying sorry again before heading to the bus stop.

***

"No! Wait! Please wait!" I was doing my best to sprint and catch the bus that had begun closing the doors. The bus driver failed to hear me and continued driving.

"Aw, hell." I was shaking with the exercise I did. My heart was beating so fast I thought it would jump out of my chest. Just my luck for the bus to leave right when I was this close to boarding. That meant I had to wait another fifteen minutes for the next one and I didn't have the luxury to spend cash on a taxi. I was going to be late for work. It would be the first offence. I had no one to blame but myself for walking as if I had a boulder chained to my feet.

I took out my phone to message my boss and inform him of my tardiness. He wasn't pleased and told me if I didn't make it in ten minutes I could kiss my job goodbye.

The sadness of the situation had me plopping down onto the nearby seat with my head in my hands.

I swallowed the urge to cry.

I couldn't afford for this to happen.

After sending a prayer to the big man upstairs I waited patiently.

I got a bus within the next five minutes. 

I was breathless and disoriented when I arrived at the shop. My feet felt like they just walked through hell.

"You are one lucky girl," He mocked before tossing the bike keys at me. 

A minute was left to spare and I never understood until now how much every second counted.

My body was numb by the time I arrived home. 

"How was your da- are you okay?"

"I'm fine mom."

She didn't seem very convinced and indicated for me to take a seat on the tattered couch.

I sat trying my best not to wince. My poor riding posture on the delivery bike was taking a great toll on me.

"I'll heat up a bath for you." She offered but I denied.

"No mom, that'll run up the water bill."

Her eyes became less friendly. "Is it such a crime to want to take care of you for once?"

"What are you talking about mom? You take care of me all the time." I was baffled by such words.

She sighed.

I patted the space next to me. She walked over and sat down.

"Tell me." I egged on.

Her words held hesitancy. "It's just that I hate seeing you work yourself to the bone. You work so hard inside and outside of school. There is nothing that I can do to ease your pain and somehow...somehow that makes me feel lacking as a mother."

Tears had brimmed at the corner of her eyes. They held the same color as mine and couldn't help but be pitiful.

"That's ridiculous."

Her lips were sealed.

"Mom, mom..." I held her face between my hands forcing her to look at me. "You being here and nowhere else when I get home from a long day alone eases my pain."

A whimper left her. I was overcome with the need to hug her and I did.

I knew it wasn't easy on her either. She had to tend to many unworldly sights at the hospital as a cleaner. She worked heavy hours and had to do so with two full length jobs. If anything I hadn't experienced any hardships.

My hand rubbed at her back softly. "It's gonna be okay, mom. I promise."

***

A/N: TT Della can be such a sweetheart sometimes. 

I hope you liked this chapter and if you did don't be shy in tapping that star at the bottom of your screen. Love ya!