1. The One Where They Team Up

Start from the beginning

She sighs and gets me to sit down next to her. "I haven't really told you, but I've been having a problem with my ankle lately," she tells me, surprising me. "I didn't tell you because it's totally easy to handle, but I did need a PT to help me out. She told me that, if something felt wrong, I should go to the hospital instead of waiting for it to heal up."

"Oh my God, really?" I say, worried. "I wouldn't have minded if you told me, dude. You helped me a shit ton with my own problems a couple of years back."

"It's fine," she assures me. "I was just worried this one time that something definitely went wrong, but it turns out it's just a usual sprain. Don't worry about it, and I got enough cash on me, like you said. I'm more worried about you though. If you're really planning to wait on your wound instead of spending money on it... I mean, it's kinda given that this country is in a pretty bad healthcare situation, but still."

"I'm doing fine," I retort, standing up. "I have enough money, I'm saving well, and I'm trying not to live from paycheck to paycheck. So far, it's okay, but long live America, right?"

"That's a paradox. You just said a paradox."

"Really, I'm doing alright," I reply. "Don't worry about me, okay? Worry about your silly little ankle."

But I had to admit, I was not doing that well. Sure, my job pays well, I have a roof over my head, pretty good food, and basically all my necessities. But Kari was right. After that whole cancer issue a couple of years ago, I decided to save up more money than usual, and it really did dawn on me that the ever-running fight with money and survival was a hard one to conquer. As I drive back to the office, I think about everything that Kari said, and I really did worry for myself more than for my sister whose ankle is acting up, which is stupid. I should be worried about her and not for myself.

From: Ian He Cooks
Are you still at the hospital? We just wrapped up a shoot.

From: Court Bourt
I'm actually on my way back.

From: Ian He Cooks
No need, you should go home. We're closing up for the day already.

From: Court Bourt
Someone's being a sweetie today! Must be love. Or My Favorite Coffee.

From: Ian He Cooks
Or both. Well, no. Just coffee.

So instead of driving back to the office, I take a U-turn and head home instead. Admittedly, I was even luckier with the fact that Ian was my boss. If we were still under Defy, I would have been earning way less. Thinking about all the money and the stress I was having because of it was definitely upsetting me, so I take a deep breath while driving and head home.

Upon getting home, I open the door to my apartment to the usual mail posted on my wall. Rent was still doing alright, so there aren't any reminders from my landlord. I see an envelope from a nearby university offering college programs, and I could only put it at the back of the envelopes I held. The last one was pink and scented, and I open it to see an invitation from a good friend of mine back in high school, Mike.

To: Courtney Miller

You are cordially invited to
Mike and Cassie's
wedding on March 28, 2021.

Attire:
Formal Wear

Colors:
Black for the gentlemen
Silver/gray for the ladies

We have reserved 2 seat/s for you. Please RSVP until two weeks before the ceremony. No RSVP would mean forfeiture of your seat/s.