Chapter 19 - Happy birthday

December 15th, Oliver Wood's birthday. The past few days had been weird. Every time Erin spotted Oliver in the hallway, he either avoided her gaze or he smiled half-heartedly. Erin couldn't blame him. She had completely stood him up whilst he was trying to make amends.

She wanted to talk to him, but Beatrice suggested to wait for a couple days to see what he would do, to see if he would give up already. So Erin tried distracting herself with Anthony, but he could also see what was happening and she wasn't being fair to him. The fact is that she was leading him on and she felt guilty about it. She just didn't know what to do in general.

So just three days after the non-existent talk, on December 15th, Erin decided to reach out. She had to at least show him that she still cared. She had to talk to him.

She got some Sugar Quills from Beatrice's massive stash, the blue ones because those were his favourite, and wrapped them neatly in some yellow wrapping paper. She added a little note, which read:

Hey Captain

Happy birthday. I'm sorry I didn't show. Can we do a re-do tonight? 10 PM?

x Erin

She folded the parchment and added it to the gift before she could change her mind. She knew she wouldn't have the guts to give it to him in person, at least not with his friends around, so she went for plan B.

"Hey Benji!" she called out for her little brother when she met him before breakfast.

"Hi", he mumbled. He was clearly not a morning person.

"I need you to do something for me", she said, receiving a suspicious look.

"What's that?"

"I need you to give this to Oliver", she said, giving him the little yellow package.

"Oliver Wood, my captain? Why?"

"Because I tell you so, just do it", Erin said, pushing it in his hands.

"Why don't you just give it yourself? Or by owl at least", Benjamin complained. Erin hadn't thought of the owl post yet ...

"Just do it, please?" she said, sporting her best puppy eyes. Benjamin sighed.

"Okay."

She quickly gave him a hug before heading to breakfast.

She anxiously waited for Benjamin to enter. Oliver was already in the Great Hall, receiving birthday wishes from most Gryffindors. He seemed happy, which made Erin happy.

Benjamin walked in and he didn't seem to care the least. He walked up to Oliver, tapped his shoulder and gave him the package. He told him something, but Erin couldn't read his lips. When Oliver looked up, straight at her, she could guess what Benjamin had said, obviously. Why did she have to stare? She hid her red face behind her hair and stuffed a crumpet in her mouth.

Oliver looked at her, trying to figure her out. Benjamin hadn't told him much, just that Erin had asked him to give him this. Erin quickly looked away when he caught her looking, to which Oliver smiled. She was so awkward and he loved it.

He slowly opened the packaging, revealing a couple of blue Sugar Quills. She remembered. He had told her that these were his favourite almost two months ago and she remembered. There was a little note inside.

Hey Captain

Happy birthday. I'm sorry I didn't show. Can we do a re-do tonight? 10 PM?

x Erin

He couldn't help but smile at his little nickname. It had been so long since she'd used it. He didn't have to think long about her offer. Of course he'd go. He had wanted to reach out again ever since he left the stands three nights ago. He was not just going to give up. He'd be there.