ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛᴡᴇɴᴛʏ ᴏɴᴇ

Start from the beginning

Another vision.

I could see so much, yet so little in Alice's eyes. I saw deep rolling hills of golden sands, the dazzling of topaz on a sunny day and the dark sliding of charcoal powder shimmering against metal on those nights where she was overcome with feeling. I saw them blank, suddenly still and emotionless. But I would never see the struggling of her visions, nor the look of my own face as I stared at her. I often wondered what she saw- was I gaping and conflicted, or was I cool? I supposed neither.

Even after centuries, I still remembered what my mother had always said in that broad, northern accent that I'd come to miss: 'a face like a slapped arse'- a constant look of disappointment in politer terms. But I could never be disappointed with Alice, I'd sharply learned. Seeing her face contort into something frightened made my stomach lurch in some strange and unnatural way. I let her grip my arm. Jasper was in front of us in a split second, kneeling and letting the vision pass.

Alice's face crippled, her fingers curling against the table as she leaned over it, almost as if she was in pain. I helped her up, letting her stagger against my hold until she crashed into it completely. Gaping with surprise, I glanced down at the small girl that was tucked into my side. I let my arms fold over her shoulders, pulling her closer as she squeezed her eyes shut.

"What is it?" I whispered, prying her fingers from my top.

"Bella," she gasped, head turning back to my shoulder.

I glanced to Jasper, but he was already looking at Bella, who'd appeared in the doorway, eyes wide. Alice's eyes flashed up, locking onto her.

"I'm right here," she said. "What did you see?"

Alice was staring at her sharply, Jasper's eyes flickering cautiously between the two... And then she straightened abruptly, shoulders calming as she smiled slightly. I suspected Jasper had something to do with it, but Alice was a calm creature and she wasn't through with surprising.

"Nothing really, just the same room as before," she said lightly. "Did you want breakfast?"

Bella shook her head, eyes narrowing. "No, I'll eat at the airport."

"Edward will keep you safe. Alice and I are going to look after your mother," Jasper said, but his words didn't seem to have the same effect as his powers did.

"I know," she said, biting her lip.

Bella left the room anxiously. We could all feel it- Alice's strange, unsettled want to have her out of the room. It made everything tense, until she finally did, leaving Alice to deflate, dropping smoothly to the seat. I followed, sitting beside her.

"You and Jasper will stay?" I asked. We'd talked about it before.

Alice cringed. "Yes. Someone has to."

"But not me?"

"Elide..." she trailed off, eyes downcast to the floor.

"It's fine."

"We need more people with her than we do over here," she explained.

"I understand," I nodded, because I did understand. There was something about the way she looked up, wanting me to be understanding and content, that made me feel warm.

"I trust you."

I looked up at her through lowered lashes. "But who will keep you company?"