ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴇɪɢʜᴛ

CHAPTER EIGHT
ᴡʜɪᴛᴇ ᴅᴇᴍᴏɴ ʟᴏᴠᴇ sᴏɴɢ

Serena looked like I'd imagined, with dark skin smooth like Nahuel's and eyes a human brown. The cold, coastal wind played with her hair, black strands dripping like ink down her back. Around her, like a colourful aura, was her scent too. So distinct and different that there was no mistaking what she was- the daughter of a human and a vampire, just like Renesmee and Nahuel. Her heartbeat was there, faint and slow and unnatural, but unmissable.

There was a vampiric anger in her that was not in the other two though. When she raised her chin, a sign of aggression and capability, there almost seemed to be a red glint to her irises. In a defensive stance, Serena crouched down, hands held comfortably at her sides.

"What business do you have coming here?"

Her voice was at first unwavering, but we could sense her nervousness as if she'd been expecting something. It was strange enough that we'd found her in such a permanent place, given all Nahuel had said of her. There was panic in Serena's eyes as she scanned our surroundings, scrutinising every inch of the three of us. It made me panic too.

"We came because of your brother," Alice said. The cold air of our voices left no impact in the icy atmosphere. She was calm, something that settled me too. This would not go south- she seemed sure of it. And even if she should attack, there was a comfort in numbers. Thomas, though unused to our working, slid into place beside her.

"Nahuel?" The mention of him only seemed to make her tenser. As if she anticipated his aggression, rather than worry. It made sense- she'd never been family to him, despite calling him brother. Their shared father had ensured as such, if Nahuel's tales were anything to go from. "I haven't seen him in many years. What need would he have of me?"

"No need. He wished only to warn you," Alice said.

Her eyes narrowed, cat-like and so very watching. "Then why not come himself?"

"You were hard to find," I said, finding Alice's wistful smile. We'd had so much practice doing this very thing, thanks to Bella. "But we've become pretty good at tracking."

"Stalking, more like. But it works," Thomas said, though when he noticed her uneasiness, stepped backwards and tilted his head downwards.

"Let us tell you all we know, all he wishes for you to know," Alice said, fingers lacing with mine in a show of strength. "Then you can make your decision."

"All right," she said. Then her eyes moved from Alice, to me, to Thomas. Once again I was left wishing I had Edward's gift. I wanted to see what she saw, know what she thought. "I'm listening."

As we often had to, we told her everything. About the Cullens and how Renesmee came to be. About the Volturi and their need for power, finding threat in a young girl with no significant strength. How Nahuel and his Aunt came to our aid and in return requested this of us: that we would find his sister and warn her of the Volturi's worry of these hybrids and the attention that would come as such.

Serena listened, watching us with easy eyes that revealed no emotion. It gave the impretion that she was practised in such concealment in a way I once had been. But still, Alice's tranquility calmed me as it always would. We knew, even then, that Serena would find her brother the moment we parted. As quick as it had been asked of us, our job was done.

With peace resting easily in the air, the Cullens had been lulled into a sense of normality. Bella was more than eager to properly experience life as a vampire in their family and her first request was for a game of baseball.

I could still remember that first game that had kick-started everything. It seemed that it was fitting we should end the way it began: on that field as the cool, winter thunder crashed above, the town far from view. The snow had cleared enough for a pitch to be set up. Behind the batting stand, Renesmee sat with Esme, Bella's old cap pulled over her head. Jacob sat with her too, sitting out of the game in case they got too competitive.

There were two teams, decided by Carlisle as always. He took Alice, Rose, Jasper, and Esme while I was partnered with Thomas, Emmett, Edward, and Bella. They batted first, settling into a line beside Renesmee, who clapped, urging Alice to go first. Edward slid far back, reading her strategy, only to roll his eyes and sprint backwards the moment Carlisle bowled the ball.

Alice's laughter echoed through the trees as her bat smacked against the ball, sending it flying in the opposite direction to her brother. It was Thomas's chance to chase it, surprising them all with his speed as he slid on his side, catching it in one hand after it bounced. He'd always been fast- he was about to take over the game. A crackle of lightning came as I shouted to him, watching his arm loop smoothly to send the ball my way to fourth base.

The ball landed in my grasp as Alice skated around third, coming to crash straight into my chest as I dove for the base.

"You could have dodged that easily," Alice said, looking down at me with those wide, golden eyes.

"Hmm, you over estimate me." She let out a laugh as I leaned in to peck a kiss onto her nose.

Emmett's shout came across the field. "Get a room you two! We need the ball."

Alice didn't seem phased by her brother's tormenting, she never did. I could only push her from where she still lay against me and reached over to tap the ball against the marked square.

"Out!"

I could see the annoyance playing on her face- the way her buttoned nose pinched and her eyebrows furrowed. But Alice said nothing, only skipped from the field, hips swaying, eyes following her the whole way. Rose had batted before I could even turn back to the game, sending the ball flying far into the trees in a calculated move, earning a full run. Then it was Jasper's turn to bat.

With a smirk playing on his smooth features, Jasper stepped up to the square, swinging the bat between his fingers, making loops with his arm. When the ball finally came zipping toward him, he sent an easy swing forward, colliding like lightening, and then in a blur he was gone, beating the ball in its speed. He was at second before I'd even reacted, heading toward third where Thomas stood, waiting like a prey animal.

Thomas was always the dirty player, the added abilities had only made him worse. He slid to his knees, angling his arms so that they collided with Jasper's legs. They landed face to face, Thomas with a grin on his, Jasper with a glare.

"Nice scars," Thomas drawled. Jasper pushed him away by the face.

"What?" Thomas said with a shrug. "Now you know how awful it is to watch. I'm taking a page from your book."

"What does that mean?" He was walking away from me then, rolling his shoulders casually. From that moment, I ignored the game playing behind us. "Thomas!"

With Alice's yellow sports car packed so full, Forks seemed empty as we drove through it. I could still remember that first moment when I'd come to the small town. Everything had seemed so strangely right then. Now I know why. Despite all we were leaving behind, it seemed right now to leave.

Alice's hand found mine, resting by the gear stick for a moment. Her eyes found mine, so reassuring and calm.

"Ready?" She asked, and I could no naught but nod.

Ready for the future, for the rest of forever? Yes, yes, yes, a thousand times yes!

"Ready," I whispered, and Alice shifted gear, speeding past the town boundaries and into a new world.

.