ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴏɴᴇ

CHAPTER ONEsᴇᴘᴛᴇᴍʙᴇʀ ᴛʜɪʀᴛᴇᴇɴᴛʜ

CHAPTER ONE
sᴇᴘᴛᴇᴍʙᴇʀ ᴛʜɪʀᴛᴇᴇɴᴛʜ

The silvery light drifted from amongst the crackled leaves that hung proudly from the tree branches above. The stars held dull power, like little dots of candlelight on a dark, empty street, obscured from the blurriness of glass windows. It was the moon that danced against my alabaster skin, using the bushes as stencils to bathe my face in dim shadows or argent luminescence.

Slim fingers trailed the outlines of the leaves on my skin, sending unwelcome shivers down my back. Such feline hands- sharp, manicured nails were like paws, yet with such a soft, achingly adoring touch. My eyes trailed up the smooth, snow-white skin of the arm, itching forward, desperate to meet eyes with the woman who touched me so.

But, like each time before it, my eyes slipped through, staring back at the grimy, floral wallpaper across my room.

These day dreams were the closest I would ever get to sleep or the dreams that tagged along with it, and had it been anything other than the vision I repeatedly saw, I would have been keen to accept them back. But, in fact, I knew exactly what my daydream was.

Each time my eyes trailed up the arms of the woman, I expected to see Alice smiling down at me in the end, her hands moving closer and closer to my waist, pulling me up and forward. Just as she had that night at the dance, enveloped by the cool, protecting light of twilight. The very content of my imagination's productions was the reason I'd avoided the girl for the majority of the summer, seeing her only on occasions in which she sought me out, or was in the company of Bella. But school was quickly approaching, and I knew my evading of Alice would promptly have to end.

It was September thirteenth, the day of Bella's birthday. I drove to school early, the wrapped gift tucked away in the glove compartment, despite the fact she'd specifically said not to get her a present. Ageing scared her apparently.

When I pulled into the car park, Edward was waiting motionlessly for Bella by his silver Volvo. Alice was beside him too, waiting with a ribbon-wrapped parcel beneath her coat. The sight of her glowing face reminded me just how long it had been since I'd saw her, or anyone for that matter. It had been a few weeks at least. My only excuse was that a few weeks for a vampire was the equivalent to minutes in the long run.

Going back to Forks high after such a surreal experience was difficult- even for me. Perhaps it was the fact that Bella was close to dying, but everything seemed different, as if the whole planes of the world had shifted beneath my feet and yet I'd stayed in the same position. These little things seemed pointless.

Alice and Edward watched Bella as she hopped out of her truck, flecks of rust falling to the ground as she slammed the door behind her. They knew I was here of course- but they didn't show it.