07. to keep a secret from Rafe

"You guys were macking on each other huh?" JJ asked from his place on the couch.
"Shut up," John B answered. After their little make out session on the boat, he and Sarah had decided they would date and take things slow.
"So you definitely are then," JJ grumbled, "whatever. You're not as bad as I expected, Cameron." Sarah rolled her eyes.
"That's what he said too." She said as her and John B joined JJ on the couch at talked for hours.

Sarah woke up in an unfamiliar bed. She sat up immediately taking in her surroundings only to be relieved when she realized where she was. John B's bedroom. She peered next to her to see the boy in question laying with his arm over her lap. She smiled at the sight. They had only just started dating, but she had never felt this way with Topper or any boy before that for that matter. She hoped this time things would be different.
Sarah leaned down and pressed a kiss to her boyfriend's forehead.
"Wake up, baby," she whispered. His head moved a little at this so she ran a hand through his messy curls. He sighed in response and moved his arms around before opening his eyes and smiling.
"Hi." He said.
"Hi." It was like they couldn't take their eyes off the other. His eyes drew Sarah in. A honey brown that seemed extra soft in the early morning as he grinned at her. She couldn't help but lean down and kiss him softly, her hands settled on his cheeks.
"Mmmm. I could get used to this," he sighed. She giggled.
"I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I should probably get back home just so my Dad doesn't lock me in my room forever."
"Nooooooo, don't leave me." John B wined.
"Already cling, huh?" she smirked. John B didn't respond, he only sat up and drew her into a warm hug.
"Of course I am," He mumbled against her neck where he then placed a kiss, "But I wouldn't ever keep you from your family."
"Thank you."
"No need to thank me. Go make sure you're not double grounded. I'll come see you later."
he said as he pecked her lips.
"How?" she asked.
"That's for me to figure out, Princess."

Which is what Sarah had been thinking about when she walked through the front door of her house.
"Where have you been young lady?" Her father's voice came. She internally groaned.
"I had to go to SAT tutoring," she lied. Ward thought in silence before settling.
"Fine. You're still grounded though Sarah Elizabeth Cameron."
"Yeah I know," she said as she made her way upstairs.
"SAT practice my ass," Rafe whispered. He had been hiding in the stairwell listening to their conversation.
"What the fuck Rafe. You scared me."
"Cut the crap, Sarah. What were you hanging out with those Pogues again?" he snarled.
"What is wrong with you? I said I was at SAT." she crossed her arms.
"Yeah right. You already took your SAT and there is not tutorial right now." Sarah hasn't expected Rafe would know that much about the testing.
"I'm studying early," she mumbled which earned a scoff from her brother.
"Sure and I'm Dad's favorite. I know you were with John B." Sarah looked at him in shock.
"Yeah. Topper told me all about how you basically cheated on him with that fucking Pogue."
"I did not cheat on Topper, you asshole," she tried to push her way past him but he stopped her again.
"You'd be dreaming if you think I'm not telling Dad that your boyfriend was our ex gardener."
"You wouldn't," she challenged as she continued up to the stair to her room where she collapsed on her bed. She knew Rafe would hold this over her head. And her father would never approve of John B, especially after he had convinced himself that John B had beaten Topper up for no reason. She groaned into her pillow as she thought about how she would sort out this issue.

Meanwhile at the Chateau all the Pogues had gathered to go surfing then get some breakfast.
Surfing was their way of escape from all of the social norms they were tied to on the Cut. They stayed in the ocean for hours until they finally wore themselves out, body tired from paddling and surfing. So they made their way over to the sand where Kiara had left her bag where she packed sandwiches and beers for the boys and herself.
"Sooooo I have an announcement to make," John B said.
"What," JJ said through a mouthful of food.
"Me and Sarah-"
"Yeah yeah we all know JJ told us." Kiara cut him off. John B looked shocked and jerked his head to JJ who's eyes had grown the size of saucers.
"Bro! I wanted to tell them!"
"Sorry man." JJ shrugged.
"Well what do you guys think?" John B asked.
"I've never even talked to her but whatever makes you happy," Pope said. "And plus Kiara said she and her made up," he said with a look at Kiara.
"Shut up, Pope. We did not make up. We.... settled out differences."
"That's not what it sounded like when you picked me up from my interview. 'I actually kind missed her around she seems different now.'" he mimicked her. Kiara gasped and threw a piece of salami at him. John B and JJ grinned at the exchange.
"So you likey likey my girlfriend," John B teased.
"You guys are idiots," Kie grumbled. "But in all serious. We may have made up but... I don't know just be careful JB. She's still a Kook and even if she cares about you, the people in her life will never approve." John B thought about it.
"She's right JB." Pope added. John B frowned a little.
"I guess but. I have faith that Sarah wouldn't let anyone get in the way of us. You know? She just makes me feel really happy and she always talked good about me to Ward."
"God you're already such a fucking sap." JJ said.
"We'll get used it." John B smirked. Kiara evaluated the boys.
"You know what? Maybe Sarah is just what you needed John B. I haven't seen you smiling this long in a long time."
"See everything is going good for once," John B grinned. "What if I invite Sarah over to hang out so you guys can get all introduced?"
"Sounds good," the Pogues chorused.
"Great!" John B laughed, "Then i'll go over to Tanneyhill and get her right now."
"Yeah you do that, simp" JJ said from his place in the sand. Kiara slapped his shoulder playfully.
"See you later then," she said.

Trying to get ahold of Sarah Cameron was harder than John B had expected. Especially considering the fact that if her father saw him on Cameron property he would probably call the police on him. So John B had been sitting in the Twinkie planning how he would reach Sarah's bedroom window for about ten minutes now before he came up with a plan. He knew her backyard door was always unlocked and had a clear way to the staircase which led to her room. With the plan in mind, he hopped out of the van and slowly made his way to the back door where he looked around before sliding it open and tip towing inside. He saw Rose in a room down the hall but she was distractedly talking on the phone which made for a perfect route to Sarah's room. He ran past Rose and up the stairs before he was stopped by Wheezie.
"Fuck," he said under his breath.
"John B? What are you doing here?" she asked.
"Ermmm. Me and Uh," he stumbled over his words, "Listen I just really need to talk to Sarah but she told me she's grounded and I had to find a way to get to her and I didn't know any other way besides sneaking in." He rambled nervously.
"Ok ok relax," Wheezie said as she put her hands up, "I didn't know you and Sarah were a thing." John B began to panic. Of course she hadn't told her family. Was it his place to tell her? Should he tell the truth?
"Uh. Um No. I mean. Yeah No we aren't um.... We're just friends. And plus she's with Topper." He said pretending to be clueless.
"Topper and her broke up."
"Really?" John B gasped continuing his act.
"You're a horrible liar, John B." Wheezie laughed. "Just go. I wont tell anyone."
"Thank you thank you thank you!" he said as he ran past her.

When he got to Sarah's bedroom door, he tried to knock as quietly as he could. But got no response. He stood there for a few seconds debating what to do before he heard voices coming up the stairs which is when he opened Sarah's door and turned around and locked it quickly.
He found her sitting on her bed with headphone in. She immediately threw them off.
"John B? How did you get in here?" she asked. As John B got closer his smile turned into a frown when he noticed here eyes were red around the rims. His eyebrows furrowed as he brought her into a hug.
"What's wrong?" He whispered as she burrowed her head in his chest.
"My brothers a jerk," her voice muffled against his shirt.
"What happened?" John be laid several kisses on her head as he laid down on her bed to allow her to get more comfortable. She rested her chin on his chest and looked up to him as he tucked some hair away from her face.
"Topper told him that I cheated on him with you and threatened to tell my dad."
"That fucking asshole." John B'a fist clenched at his sides. Sarah immediately noticed.
"Hey hey. It's ok. We'll figure it out ok?" She said as she ran a hand through his hair in an attempt to calm him. It worked. He sighed and unclenched his fist and pulled her closet to him.
"I just don't want anything to break us apart."
"Why would you think we would be broken apart?" she frowned.
"I don't know. I just don't wanna lose you. My last girlfriends weren't exactly very trustworthy." Sarah scowled.
"If you're talking about Macy I would never cheat on you John B."
"What how do you know about Macy?"
"Kiara told me when you were talking to her the day I came to find you."
"Interesting," he said as he squinted at her, "already getting close I see." Sarah giggled.
"Barely."
"Well this is the perfect time to tell you that you are formally invited to come hang out with us Pogues today, your majesty." John B said in a british accent.
"Oh really? Does Princess Kiara know about this?" she played along.
"Of course. And guess what?" he whispered into her ear. "She told Pope she had missed you." Sarah broke into a grin.
"Are you serious! I knew it all along." John B laughed at the girl.
"So will you come then? Meet the peanut gallery?" He asked hopefully.
"Of course I will babe. But let's cuddle here for a little bit."
"That I can do." John B nestled his head into her neck as he held her. Sarah had one hand in his hair and the other on his back. Sarah could feel his heart beating in sync with her own against her. The both of them had never felt this degree of safety and happiness from another person and soon enough, they had drifted of to sleep wrapped in each other's embrace.