06. he tasted like everything good in this world

hi guys! this chapter is kinda long. hope you enjoy!

~<•>~

Kiara parked her car right in front of the entrance of Kildare County High, which Sarah had never seen in real life before. She would never admit that to Kiara though. Sarah was looking out the window towards the entrance when she saw a pair of boys walking out. They stopped along the way when two girls walked up to them, one of which pulled John B into a hug.
"Who is that?" Sarah said in relative disgust.
"Macy."
"Why're they hugging."
"She may or may not be John B's ex girlfriend who isn't over him." This made Sarah jerk her head.
"What. Oh god. Does he still have feelings for her? Are they like hooking up or something?"
"Relax, Cameron," Kiara laughed. "No and no. John B actually doesn't care for her and he was the one who broke up with her because she cheated on him. And I'm pretty sure he would never hook up with her again. She's a bitch."
"Good. She's not even cute." Sarah said as she turned back to see them wrapping up their conversation.
"Jealous and you guys aren't even dating yet." Before Sarah could reply Kiara rolled down the passenger window. "Hey shitheads! Hurry up!" She called out to them. Sarah started laughing.
"What's so funny?"
"The real you is funny." Which left Kiara with something to think about. The real her. She hadn't realized that Sarah realized the real her was not the one she was bestfriends with in 9th grade.
John B and JJ made their way to the car, still not noticing Sarah's presence. JJ was too distracted laughing at John B that he even opened the passenger door.
"Heyyyy. Kook princess. What the fuck is going in here?" JJ asked. John B was staring in shock at the girls.
"Yeah what the fuck. Sarah and Kiara are in the same car right now voluntarily." John B said. JJ had gone to sit in the back seat with John B.
"We made up," Sarah said. To which Kiara gave her a look. "Kinda."
"Does this mean you're finally gonna tell us what happened?" JJ asked.
"Not right now. It's stupid." Kiara said before Sarah could reply.
"So. Does Ward know you're on the Cut then?" John B asked.
"Nope. I'm actually grounded right now."
"Interesting..." JJ trailed off, "I'm still stuck on the fact that Sarah Cameron is in the Twinkie with us."
"Same here. She and John B have a bit to sort out I'd say," Kiara chimed in as she looked at John B through the rear view mirror. He was staring at Sarah with amazed eyes, his eyes wandering all over her face.
"So why'd you guys have detention anyways," Sarah asked. John B was about to answer when JJ cut him off, his arms thrown in the air.
"Oh I'll tell why. It's because that asshole Isaac tried to beat Pope up just because Pope wouldn't do his homework for him. And of course Pope didn't because of that scholarship or whatever so then Isaac found Pope at break when me and John B were in the cafeteria getting some snacks and he fucking punched Pope. Right in the middle of school. And then me and John B came and Pope was trying to hit Isaac but Isaacs a big guy maybe 200 pounds and Pope wasn't looking so good so then I punched Isaac and John B tried to stop me but Isaac pushed JB so then John B and I were going at him when, of course, that is exactly when Ms. Baser came and saw us hitting 'poor Isaac' and we were given one week worth of detention," Kiara gave Sarah a sympathetic look due to JJs rambling.
"Wow. That all happened at school?" Sarah said looking in the back seat, astonished at the things that occurred outside the bubble wrap.
"Yup," the boys said in sync.
"Speaking of which. I'm gonna go pick Pope up from his interview. So where should I drop you guys off," Kiara asked.
"Chateau," the boys chorused.
"What's that?" The blonde questioned.
"it's my house," John B answered, "you should come." Sarah grinned at him.
"Woah Woah Woah. The Chateau is Pogue home base! No Kooks!" JJ protests.
"Oh suck it up, JJ. You bring Kook hookups there every other weekend," Kiara said as she took a turn down a dirt path which Sarah assumed led to the Chateau. JJ sat back in his seat and pouted at Kiara's response.
"Whatever." Sarah saw John B wack JJ in the back of his head and whisper "stop giving her attitude."

The Twinkie rattled along the dirt path as a small wooden shack came into view in the distance. Kiara stopped the van when they had neared a hammock.
"Home sweet home," JJ yelled as he opened the door and jumped out. Sarah was more intrigued than anything. She'd never imagined where John B lived but there was no denying this certainly fit him perfectly. She was shaken from her thoughts when the passenger door was opened.
"C'mon let's go," John B's hand was held out to her.
Sarah automatically grasped onto his hand and jumped out of the car.
"Thanks for the ride Kiara." She said over her shoulder as she followed the boys inside.
"See you later, Kie!" JJ shouted.

The inside of the Chateau was surprisingly much more homey than Sarah expected. It was lined with photos and plaques. The couches were old and worn but it somehow just added to the feel. It was fairly small but the boys seemed pretty comfortable in it. Sarah looked down at her hand and smiled at the fact that John B was still holding on to her when suddenly he stopped and turned around.
"Um.... do you wanna go on the boat for a ride and maybe talk?"
"That would be nice," she said glancing up at him. He grinned at her.
"Follow me." He grabbed a pair of keys off a crowded table near the door before the pair made their way towards the water. "See you JJ!" John B yelled back at the house.
"Totally macking Sarah Cameron," Sarah heard JJ yell back. She chose to ignore it as to not embarrass John B.

The boat ride was calm. Again the HMS Pogue was much different to what Sarah was used to but in a good way. She was laying near front of the boat. She has taken off her shirt since she was already wearing a bikini top under. In the Outer Banks, rule number one was always wear a bikini top under your shirt during summer, you never know when you'll need to swim.
She felt the boat come to a slow stop.
"Missing my Druthers?" John B referenced her families large boat.
"No not at all actually." John B gave her a funny look as he laid down next to her.
"What?"
"Nothing," he shook his head, "You just always suprise me."
"In a good way I hope?"
"Definitely," he nodded. "You're a lot more..... normal than I expected." he trailed off.
"What's that supposed to mean?"
"I mean. You're Sarah Cameron. You're like OBX royalty." She rolled her eyes. "I don't know I just always thought you'd be more uptight. Never imagined you be laying on the HMS Pogue with me."
"I'm not just a dumb Kook, John B."
"No I know that. Sorry I didn't mean to-" He seemed to be getting flustered so he changed the subject: "Why'd you come with Kie to pick us up from school?" he asked.
"I've been looking for you all over the place, John B."
"If this is about your dad firing me, I'm not mad at you I know it's not your fault."
"I know that. I just wanted to make sure you were alright."
"If I'm alright? I should be asking you that. Your boyfriends a jerk."
"Ex," She corrected him.
"Good. He's a real asshole you know that?"
"I know." she said almost ashamedly.
"Then why'd you date him?"
"Because it's what's expected of me? And him? I don't know. It's complicated." She sighed.
"Then explain," he scooted closer. There was barely any space between the two of them, not that either of them minded. "We got time. Just me, you, and the water."
"You make it sound so simple," she grinned, into his eyes. "Well. It's like everyone around me wants me to be this perfect girl. Make the family proud and go to college and date a rich Kook. They want me to be a Cameron," she explained. John B watched her intently. "But I want to be Sarah." She finalized. "I don't want to go to those fancy dinners where I have to dress fancy and talk politely. And I certainly do not want to be dating Topper. I want to go to parties," she smiled at him, "and donate to charities, and make friends who don't care about money or status or what clothes you wear. And Topper. God Topper. He just represents everything that makes me unhappy. Everything that makes me a Cameron." She concluded. John B was still staring at her, absorbing all that she had said.
"Maybe it's time you be Sarah then," he reached to tuck some hair behind her ear. Sarah felt bubbles of excitement rise in her stomach at the touch.
"Maybe."
"You should stick around here more. I think you'd fit in." He said as their noses touched.
"Mhmm" she mumbled as her gazed fixed on his lips. His hand still rested on her check. And then she went for it. She leaned in and when her lips met his it was like a bomb could go off and she wouldn't even notice.
He tasted like the ocean and chocolate chip cookies and everything good in this world. Like feeling the sunlight on your skin for the first time after you'd been in the house all day. Like an escape from everything she so desperately wanted to run away from. His lips danced perfectly with hers, leaving her breathless and wanting more.
"Wow." he said when their lips has left each other's.
"Wow." she repeated as she grinned like a mad woman.
"Does this mean. I mean. Uh does this change anything? Do you want it to?" John B stuttered.
"If you you want it to mean something."
"I do."
"Then kiss me again," she said as she grabbed onto the bandanna wrapped loosely around his neck and pulled him to her again. He chucked against her lips as her hands reached his hair and she kissed him like it was last thing on earth.

He tasted like freedom, but she should have known she couldn't have escaped so easily.

---
Thank you guys for all the positive feedback and support. this is my first story so it's honestly so rewarding to see. I know i left on a cliff hanger but there will be plenty more to come. Again thank you all sm