02. Ever Been To A Pogue Party, Princess?

A day or two later, Sarah was walking into the kitchen to get something to drink and a snack. She was pleasantly surprised to see John B in there when she arrived. He was in one of his button up t-shirts, which ironically, he never seemed to button up, at least not all the way. He was facing away from her, looking up under a cabinet, screwdriver in hand.
"Watcha working on ," Sarah said, with a smile on her face. John B hadn't noticed her presence til then. He turned around rapidly, bumping his head on the top of the cabinet.
"Shit," he murmured, hand on his head where he had hit it.
"Easy, Sancho," Sarah said, getting an ice pack from the freezer and walker towards him.
"You scared me," He said. It caught Sarah a little off guard. Up till recently, John B and her had not interacted at all. And he always did seem guarded, especially since his father went missing, which is understandable. And although his statement didn't show much vulnerability, the gentle tone in which he said it implied a bit of sincerity that he had never shown Sarah before.
"Yeah, sorry about that," She said in a similar tone, now reaching to his head to place the ice. She was right in front of him, looking directly into his eyes, and she found herself being drawn deeper into the charisma that John B so easily carried with him.
"It's fine," he said, and reached up to grab the ice pack, hand grazing hers. She tried to bury the feeling of sparks that occured when he did. He smiled at her, which is when the screw driver fell off the counter and ended the fragile moment. John B bent down to pick it up while Sarah briskly walked to hide behind the open fridge while she got a bottle of juice out. When she turned back around, John B was standing awkwardly.
"So, you've taken up jobs inside the house now too, huh," she said, to break the silence.
"Will that be a problem, princess," he replied, his easy sarcasm returning.
"No not at all."
"Well then yes, I have taken up some new jobs," he replied.
"You know you're here so often it seems like you wouldn't have anytime to do anything else," which he chuckled at, a grin on his face, which made Sarah a little weak in the knees.
"Yeah that's where you're wrong. Everyone knows all the good parties start at night. Plus, I don't work Fridays," he said.
"Who said anything about parties?," she said playfully, "Parties aren't all that much fun anyways." He scoffed.
"Kook parties aren't all that fun. Pogue parties? Those are fun."
"Yeah? Have you ever been to a Kook party, John B?"
"No, but Kie has told us all in excruciating detail and I think you'd have much more fun at a Pogue party than you ever would hanging out with Topper and his frosted tips." That caught Sarah off guard. She had been so caught up in the flirtatious banter that she had forgotten about her boyfriend.
"Well he's my boyfriend," she said in defense.
"I think you should get a better boyfriend." She squinted at him.
"Maybe you should get friends who don't put guns to people's heads."
"Oh that is not fair, your beloved tried to drown me," he mocked.
"He wouldn't actually do it," she almost mumbled, even doubting herself. John B stared at her before grabbing his screwdriver and walking towards the front door.
"What no bye?" she asked. Which resulted in John B turning around.
"Bye, Sarah."