ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴇɪɢʜᴛᴇᴇɴ

Start from the beginning

"Wait. Stop," someone said. It was a voice I didn't recognise- lovely and sweet.

Alice still stood staring at me, the ball held tightly in her hands. Rosalie moved forward first, eyebrows raised, but not nearly as threatening as I'd imagined her to be. If anything, they looked relaxed, as if they expected the whole thing. Glancing back to Alice I saw her step forward, catching her sister by the elbow, pulling her backs 

"You don't have to be worried," Alice said casually, though it was more aimed to me than anyone.

She sprinted toward me, leaving her family to stand in the middle of the field. Her hand enclosed around my elbow, and I felt myself jerk back in surprise. I'd seen her hand reach out to me, felt the almost undetectable moving of the air as it brushed my fingertips- but I hadn't expected her to take my arm in her hold. Alice smiled up at me, chuckling.

"Come on, don't lose your confidence now," she said.

I couldn't help but smile. "I can't stop thinking of the multiple things that could go wrong"

They could hear us, every single word we said. But Alice wasn't affected by that fact, nor was she going to dim her voice to prevent it. And so neither would I.

She smirked, an odd movement of her lips that almost seemed out of place on her soft face. "Like what?"

My eyes flickered back to the group that waited in the middle of the field. Bella stared back, eyes wide in what could only be fear or confusion.

"Bella could be furious that I didn't tell her. Edward may be angry that I'm showing up uninvited," I said.

"Edward isn't as spiteful as you think," she said.

Her tone bothered me enough to provoke a scowl. Edward had done plenty to warrant my worry. Alice noticed the look on my face and instead grinned.

"And anyway, I'm here, isn't that enough?" She said.

I let my face fall into a smile, rolling my eyes playfully, "I suppose it it."

"Then you're not showing up without an invitation," she said. "I invite you to play baseball. My family would never say no to an extra player."

From then, within seconds, her hand was on mine and she was practically dragging me across the field until we stood among her family, glancing to each one of them nervously.

"Would they?" She finally said, her eyes pointing expectantly.

It was Dr Cullen who unsurprisingly spoke first. With his kind and soothing voice, he stepped forward, a warm smile on his pale face. He was visually no older than twenty four, and the way he spoke left the impression that he was years above his look, with articulation as wise and as intelligent as a man his real age would be expected to have.

"We will always welcome a friend," he said.!

I nodded thankfully, returning the smile. "And a friend you will receive out of me. Thank you, Dr Cullen."

"Please, call me Carlisle. We've heard much about you," he said, glancing toward Alice. He let his hand drift to the side, placing itself on the back of the woman to his side. "This is my wife Esme and I'm sure you know everyone else."