William Sanders, the shooter, had been arraigned last week. He was charged with two counts of first-degree attempted murder and one count of second-degree murder. We'd hoped he'd plead guilty so that it wouldn't go to trial. That wasn't happening, so it was inevitable that Ceci and I would have to testify. The media had gone crazy when it was revealed that she'd been pregnant. History had a twisted way of repeating itself.

"I have faith that justice will be served," my mum said confidently. "I also know you two will be alright."

We talked a little longer and then I called Lisa to let her know we'd arrived home safely. I also thanked her for the food. She suggested that they come by in the morning with bagels, since they were one of Ceci's favorite foods. I told her that would be great and that I'd provide the coffee.

After the call ended, I went to the refrigerator and put together a simple dinner of soup and sandwiches. At my request, my mom had bought a bed tray like the one we'd used in L.A., so I loaded that up and carefully carried it up the curved staircase. I was missing my other home since it was only one floor and therefore much better suited for caring for someone. Hopefully we'd be back there pretty soon.

When I got to our room, Ceci was sound asleep on her back, which was still the only position that was comfortable for her. It felt like a lifetime ago that she'd slept curled up in my arms. I yearned for the intimacy that had been such an important part of our lives, though I understood that wouldn't be a possibility for at least another month.

I set the tray on the bedside table and watched her for a minute. Her face was fixed in a tranquil expression and her breathing was steady and even. No wonder she liked to sleep so much; it was an escape. As I looked at her, I felt the familiar pressure of guilt. Ceci had sacrificed herself for me, and I owed her everything.

I went to my backpack, which was sitting next to my suitcase in the walk-in closet, and unzipped the main opening. Reaching into one of the interior pockets, I pulled out the small velvet box that contained the ring I'd purchased two weeks ago.

I sat cross legged on the floor and opened the box. The ring was an antique and had a round diamond in the center plus several smaller diamonds placed within the delicate filigree swirls on the sides. I'd seen it in the window of a tiny shop when I was out picking up one of Ceci's prescriptions, and I immediately knew it was meant for her.

Up until that moment, marriage hadn't been part of my plan. I knew I wanted to be with her the rest of my life, but my parents had never married, and I didn't believe it was a requirement for being committed to the person you loved. But when I saw the ring, I felt like it could help make things right. It would prove to her that I loved her and was grateful for everything she'd given me, which included my life.

Taking the ring from the box, I slipped it into my pocket and stood up. When I approached the bed, Ceci started to stir.

"What time is it?" she asked groggily.

"Dinner time! I've got roast beef and brie sandwiches plus some homemade chicken noodle soup, courtesy of our mothers."

She carefully sat up in bed. "That sounds really good."

I placed the tray across her lap and got in on the other side. Together we ate our dinner in bed, which had become our regular routine.

"I talked to both our mums," I told her. "Your parents are bringing bagels over tomorrow morning."

"I'm going to eat downstairs then."

"Is that a good idea? You're still on bed rest for another two weeks."

"Dr. Huang said that I'm allowed to get out of bed for short periods as long as I take it easy. Eating breakfast in the dining room won't hurt me."

"You're getting pretty sick of being confined, aren't you?" I asked.

I certainly was. I wanted to be near her, so bed rest for Ceci meant bed rest for me, too.

"A little. I have way too much time to think. I'm looking forward to returning to my normal life. I think it will help."

"Remember when being in bed together all day was the best thing ever?" I said with a chuckle.

"I'm sorry I can't be that girl anymore," she responded sadly.

"You're still that girl. You just need to heal. You're already over halfway through the recovery period."

"What if nothing is the same?"

She liked to play the "what if?" game a lot these days. I could play it, too.

"But what if things aren't the same because they are better?" I pulled the ring from my pocket and held it out to her. "What if...what if we got married?"

Ceci's eyes grew big. "Shawn! What are you doing?"

"Proposing. Will you marry me Cecilia Burroughs?"

"I...I can't believe this. I didn't think...I mean I had no idea...are you sure?"

I couldn't help but laugh. "I'm very sure. Please don't keep me in suspense, though. Are you giving me a yes or a no?"

"Yes! Of course it's a yes!"

I leaned forward and gave her a kiss before placing the ring on her finger. It fit perfectly, because it really was meant for her.

That night I slept better than I had since the shooting, because I'd made my love happy.